Arrr! Shiver me sides!

Story: Vermont Adopts Open Source Software PolicyTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
phsolide

Mar 04, 2010
10:01 AM EDT
Isn't Vermont land-locked? How can they consider becoming near-pirates?
jacog

Mar 04, 2010
10:08 AM EDT
Next thing you know they'll implement same-sex marriages.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 04, 2010
10:12 AM EDT
Maybe it will help their secessionist movement along.
jacog

Mar 04, 2010
10:18 AM EDT
Hmm wait, can open source help my bowel movement along??
Bob_Robertson

Mar 04, 2010
10:20 AM EDT
> can open source help my bowel movement along??

Depends upon how open the source is.
gus3

Mar 04, 2010
10:26 AM EDT
If all three of you can get yourselves to Vermont, I promise I'll find a way to end its land-locked status.

And I'm sure I'll have some help!
Bob_Robertson

Mar 04, 2010
10:29 AM EDT
I'm already signed up with the FreeStateProject.org and New Hampshire is right next to Vermont.

My sights are set, if only I could get my butt in gear.

Speaking of IPv6, how do I set a static interface address in /etc/network/interfaces ?
jdixon

Mar 04, 2010
10:57 AM EDT
> Isn't Vermont land-locked?

Does the St. Lawrence Seaway border part of it, or is all the way up in Canada at that point? I can't find a good enough map to tell, but it looks like it might swing north before it leaves New York, so yes, I think Vermont is land locked.

However, it does border Massachusetts to the south. If we destroyed most of Massachusetts and made it a large bay, I doubt anyone else in the country would mind.
tuxchick

Mar 04, 2010
11:01 AM EDT
Keep your mind, your bowels, and your code open.

IPv6 addys are just like IPv4:

interface eth0 inet6 static address 2001:470:801f::1 netmask 64 gateway 2001:470:1f05:15a::1

This has some good tips: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-ipv6-networking-configur...
jdixon

Mar 04, 2010
11:01 AM EDT
> Speaking of IPv6, how do I set a static interface address in /etc/network/interfaces ?

Does http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/debian-linux-ipv6-networking-co... help?

Rat's. TC beat me to it.
tuxchick

Mar 04, 2010
11:04 AM EDT
I win!
Bob_Robertson

Mar 04, 2010
11:10 AM EDT
> Does the St. Lawrence Seaway border part of it, or is all the way up in Canada at that point?

No, the Seaway is way far north of Vermont. While Lake Champlain was used as a water highway for a very long time, with several very interesting "naval" battles on it during the insurrection, it's not connected to anywhere else by good waterways.

The Seaway was one reason for Benedict Arnold's abortive mission to take Montreal.

Thanks, TC & JD, inbetween asking that question and checking back here, I finally figured out I'd forgotten to put the "static" on the end of the interface line, and that's why everything I did was erroring. So as usual, just asking the question focused the problem and brought forth the answer.

The nice folks in the Tunnelbroker.net fora tell me I've got "IPv4 thinking" because I continue to be frugal with addressing. grumble I just see no reason to be profligate grumble grumble

Next step: Get rid of the random delegation address that just won't go away. Maybe an explicit "address del" or something like that, but would it be required every time the interface comes up? Argh. Sometimes "automagic" is just too blasted automagic.
machiner

Mar 04, 2010
2:09 PM EDT
@jdixon

Your post was vile.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!