And you thought brown was ugly

Story: Ubuntu dumps the brown, introduces new theme and brandingTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
patrokov

Mar 04, 2010
2:06 PM EDT
All I can say is...well, I'm speechless.
ComputerBob

Mar 04, 2010
2:07 PM EDT
If God developed a new default theme, just as many people would love it or hate it as they currently love or hate every other new default theme.
azerthoth

Mar 04, 2010
2:22 PM EDT
geeze, I'm half tempted to see if they would like the loan of the guy who does our theming, If ubuntu wants something like that we have a rainbow bubble theme that we have shipped but never defaulted to.
tuxchick

Mar 04, 2010
2:38 PM EDT
But it's aubergine! Doesn't everyone love aubergine? Sure, I would have thrown in a little puce or phthalocyanine green, but it looks fine to me.
bigg

Mar 04, 2010
2:49 PM EDT
It's a big improvement IMO. I wish they'd change the fonts. I really prefer something like Luxi Sans that Fedora used as its default for many years.

Naturally, this is all subjective, except for the fact that the current default theme is ugly.
Alterax

Mar 04, 2010
3:17 PM EDT
Aubergine's the new puce, Tuxchick.
jezuch

Mar 04, 2010
3:26 PM EDT
I know it's widely known I have not even a slightly tiny bit of taste, but I have to ask: what's wrong with brown?
bigg

Mar 04, 2010
3:28 PM EDT
> what's wrong with brown?

Nothing. It's just ugly. I saw a formal proof of it somewhere.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 05, 2010
9:47 AM EDT
Mauve and gray.

I am so very glad colors can be changed.
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 05, 2010
11:15 AM EDT
Doesn't everyone change stuff like that to the way they want it? I do..
bigg

Mar 05, 2010
11:36 AM EDT
For newbies and live CD users, the defaults tend to be important, however easy they are to change.
tuxchick

Mar 05, 2010
11:42 AM EDT
I do too, Scott. It's super easy in both gnome and kde, just click a button to download and install new themes, or use your own images for backgrounds.
dinotrac

Mar 05, 2010
12:04 PM EDT
Purple and orange.

What could be more beautiful.
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 05, 2010
12:49 PM EDT
Hey Dino those are Phoenix Suns colors..even though I am not really a Basketball fan anymore..

@Carla; I have a big Astronomy Pics file I have been adding too since I got my very first computer. I use pics from that file for backgrounds and screen savers and such.

The problem I have is that Gnome doesn't want to keep the backgrounds I want to use in the file manager. It finally started working on my Ubuntu Desktop recently, I have no idea why. But it will not work on my Fedora 12 on my laptop so far. If I add a background from the list of presets they offer it only works in that one window as long as I keep it open. If I close it or go to another file or place in the filesystem, it goes back to plain white..
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 05, 2010
4:45 PM EDT
I turned one of my Ubuntu installs blue, but eventually went back to brown. Just didn't feel Ubuntu-y enough ... Now in Debian I still have blue, but I use the green-grass wallpaper.
dinotrac

Mar 05, 2010
6:04 PM EDT
Scott --

I thought they were purple and gold - my bad. Shucks, and I kind of like the Suns, too, not the least because Steve Kerr is there and I remember him from the Jordan days around here.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!