Couldn't agree more

Story: Windows: Choice But No ChoiceTotal Replies: 17
Author Content
hkwint

Mar 08, 2010
2:30 PM EDT
Quoting:I have learned that to force a change on someone is a recipe for failure

Indeed, "Closed -> open migration" is a lengthy process that starts with talking to users, and small steps. For my sister, just refusing to install 'cracked' MS Office, showing all the IE-cruft it left behind even after 'clearing privacy settings' and telling about alternatives was enough to make her switch to Firefox and OpenOffice herself, without me doing anything! I offered her to install Linux, and she said "No, thanks, it's going to take too much of my time to learn it again". That's OK, she considered it and decided not to do so, but now she has chosen for Windows while knowing there's an alternative and that's still some points scored in my opinion.
tmx

Mar 08, 2010
4:04 PM EDT
You just made the point there. It is better to first introduce the user to open source softwares. Then if they enjoy them, they will eventually find out about linux for themselves, ...or not.
Kagehi

Mar 08, 2010
4:29 PM EDT
Its not 100% accurate. I think there is a KDE for Windows, and there have been a few others floating around too, but since using MS' window manager doesn't make an obvious connection for people with things like getting viruses (never mind its core is IE), and most of the others take up more resources and/or don't integrate as many features, no one uses them. Its like expecting them to dump Outlook and IE, if that is what they have already, and they never **heard** of Firefox, Thunderbird, Opera, or anything else. But, alternatives have been around for *years*. They just don't do enough to make them worth changing. I have no idea myself, assuming a KDE4WIn exists, if its any better at that. However, given the level of "non-integration" with some basic things Windows manager does more or less well, never mind most of those problems being system level, not in the manager (like automounting things there are no existing automount settings for), odds are Windows users will find something it won't do, which they use all the time, and grumble about that.
hkwint

Mar 08, 2010
7:18 PM EDT
Tried KDE3.5 for Windows (K3B), but it didn't work for some reason. It was quite some hassle. KDE4 is developed with Windows in mind too, and not as an afterthought only. Basically because Trolltech tried to make QT4 multi-platform, I believe Trolltech did most of the hard work.
tuxchick

Mar 09, 2010
12:28 AM EDT
Very nice, Scott, well said. Yes, we are spoiled. Yes, people hate change and it requires wiles and patience. +1 to everything.
dinotrac

Mar 09, 2010
11:52 AM EDT
>Trolltech tried to make QT4 multi-platform

Hold on, here ---

QT has always been multi-platform. That is a major part of its reason to exist.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 09, 2010
5:56 PM EDT
QT was, but not freely. Qt Win32 and OSX wasn't available under an open source license.
CWhitman

Mar 10, 2010
3:50 PM EDT
Another thing to note is that, to the best of my knowledge, KDE for Windows does not include a window manager. In other words, KDE for Windows is the collection of KDE apps for Windows rather than the whole desktop environment. You still end up using Windows Explorer. Correct me if I'm wrong, because if I could use the KDE window manager on my Windows machine at work, I almost certainly would. I have tried a few different window managers in Windows, and none of them properly handle multiple workspaces. (None of them properly handle focus either. Apparently Windows Explorer developers think, 'Scroll a window without changing focus to it? Why would you want to do that?')
TxtEdMacs

Mar 10, 2010
6:37 PM EDT
[serious] CWhitman,

Try this. I have a browser [Firefox] and my email client [Thunderbird] running in Linux, but your description of what you thought should happen seemed counter to my memory [not arguing logic]. So I went from the browser and moved the scroll bar slightly and as you said the focus changed to the email client. However, I knew I saw different behaviour recently. Now that the email client is the focus I returned to the browser and this time scrolled the comments on LXer using the wheel on the mouse. This time the focus remained on the email. I happen to like this, but I wonder if you might be disturbed.

[/serious]

Your Buddy Txt. [aka YBT, shill & astroturfer extraordinaire. Will work to confuse all for a modicum of cash reimbursements.]
DiBosco

Mar 11, 2010
1:46 PM EDT
A pedant writes:

It's Qt, not QT. This is something pointed out on the Qt interest mailing list every now and again. From what I can gather, this insistence is partly to do with it being its trademark and partly to differentiate between Qt and QT which (I believe) is what Apple call QuickTime.

Dino is quite right, Qt has always been multi platform and the Qt interest mailing list shows healthy interest from users of many different platforms (not just PCs in fact but things like embedded ARM developers). KDE just happens to be built up on Qt. My favourite IDE for embedded software is written by a British company using Qt and they release versions for Linux, OSX and Windows at the same time on each new release.

Sander_Marechal

Mar 11, 2010
3:28 PM EDT
Quoting:It's Qt, not QT

It's an easy mistake for people who don't know how to pronounce Qt. It's a word, not an abbreviation. That is, pronounce it as "cute", not "queue-tee".
dinotrac

Mar 11, 2010
4:01 PM EDT
Sander -

It used to be cute. Not so sure since KDE4.
DiBosco

Mar 11, 2010
5:21 PM EDT
Quoting:It's an easy mistake for people who don't know how to pronounce Qt. It's a word, not an abbreviation. That is, pronounce it as "cute", not "queue-tee".

Agreed. I still find it hard to remember to say cute rather than queue-tee.

tuxchick

Mar 11, 2010
7:00 PM EDT
Oh. Not kwut.

Kool.
gus3

Mar 11, 2010
7:27 PM EDT
After the KDE kerfuffle, it might be better pronounced "quit".
techiem2

Mar 11, 2010
8:08 PM EDT
Or "cut"
hkwint

Mar 11, 2010
9:39 PM EDT
Darn trolls, equaling Qt to KDE4.

Qt is so much more than just KDE4, for example it will be what powers MeeGo.
dinotrac

Mar 11, 2010
10:29 PM EDT
Oh Hans!!

Come on -- Let's see some of that famous Dutch Humor.

Oh, wait...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!