Should be Manditory

Story: Microsoft's Internet Driving Licence: stupid, unworkable and unenforceableTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
qcimushroom

Mar 10, 2010
2:55 PM EDT
for any one using Microsoft software on the Internet!

I would love to see the levels of spam drop dramatically.
softwarejanitor

Mar 10, 2010
5:17 PM EDT
No... Microsoft software should just be banned from the Internet... that would reduce spam and malware to virtual non-existance.
tracyanne

Mar 10, 2010
5:29 PM EDT
@softwarejanitor, prohibition doesn't work though, we saw that in the 20s in the US and a few other Western countries, and the war on drugs is little more than a sink hole for money. Yet where countries apply huge taxes AND education there is a reduction in usage, take tobacco.

So I propose that people who use Microsoft's software be taxed heavily, be forced to sit "drivers license" tests and be educated on safer alternatives.
gus3

Mar 10, 2010
5:35 PM EDT
I've pondered the ramifications of checking the User-Agent and redirecting to a "you've gotta be nuts to continue using Internet Exploder!" page. I can't bring myself to do it... yet I can't give up on the idea, either.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 11, 2010
2:50 AM EDT
@gus: No need to redirect them away from the page. But you could show a warning at the top of the page. Many people have done so. Also, don't look at the user agent. Use conditional comments. They are guaranteed to be only seen by IE, regardless of user-agent strings. Example: http://www.james-blogs.com/2009/07/27/ie6-browser-warning-me...

In that example, replace <!--[if lte IE6] with <!--[if IE] and you will target all versions of IE.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 11, 2010
2:52 AM EDT
Forum ate my post....

replace "if lte IE6" with "if IE"
gus3

Mar 11, 2010
7:39 AM EDT
Thanks, Sander. I'll take that under advisement (meaning, I'll bookmark it ;-).
Sander_Marechal

Mar 11, 2010
10:03 AM EDT
Bob fixed the forum bug that ate the better part of my previous post. Testing...

<!--[if !IE]--> bar <!--[if !IE]> baz <[endif]-->

<-- And an open-ended one...
Sander_Marechal

Mar 11, 2010
10:04 AM EDT
Test two:
Sander_Marechal

Mar 11, 2010
10:08 AM EDT
Test three: An escaped comment (should be printed): An unescaped comment (should be filtered or not displayed):

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!