don't think so

Story: Elliott Associates Says Novell Won't Go to PiecesTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
tuxchick

Mar 12, 2010
9:43 PM EDT
It's unlikely that Elliott Associates wants to buy Novell just because they have dreams of running Novell themselves. They're going to strip-mine it and cash out. That would be a shame, because despite their flaws and missteps, Novell is a real technology company that invents real stuff. It's sad to see Sun go for the same reasons, they performed some amazing invention and real engineering. The tech industry is not very diverse, and it seems to be getting less so.
number6x

Mar 12, 2010
10:11 PM EDT
Sun's loss is big. The fact that Oracle could buy them is astounding. I don't think its a good fit. Oracle does one thing very well. That is a smart way to run a business. But they don't do other things all that well.

I hope Oracle doesn't become like Microsoft. When Microsoft sees a competitor develop a product, they have to play 'Me Too'.

Just do what you do well and stay profitable.

hkwint

Mar 13, 2010
11:27 AM EDT
Quoting:The tech industry is not very diverse, and it seems to be getting less so.

Are you sure? Or could it be that the death of a few mammoths leaves food for a thousand new born mice? After all, given sheer numbers, a thousand mice are normally more innovative than a few mammoths. The tech industry might be very diverse, but the companies might be too small and too foreign for (the?) us to see.

Some examples: While a computing firm and a university couldn't get MULTICS to work, a telephone company made UNIX. Cloud computing was made popular by a firm which used to be an 'online bookstore'. NoSQL was made popular by a social networking site. PERL was written by someone who used to be a linguist. Cheap mobile phones for the masses are sold by some company that was a rubber/ cable company in the past. The whole netbook segment came into existence because of "some architect who was interested in CAD"

My point (the one I make pretty often I'm afraid) is for innovation you shouldn't look at vested interest companies. Sure, SUN, especially IBM and Novell invented more than Microsoft and Apple, but I think more innovations will come from places you don't expect them to come from. And China and India of course, lots of mobile devices are nowadays sold in China before they are even presented at Western Expo's like Cebit and CES.
number6x

Mar 13, 2010
11:32 AM EDT
Gui interface first implemented in the market place by a company that made photostatic copies.
gus3

Mar 13, 2010
11:37 AM EDT
And the chief architect of that project got the A.M. Turing award this year.

Hans, you forgot the cell phone company that got its start putting radios in cars.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 13, 2010
5:03 PM EDT
Quoting:And China and India of course, lots of mobile devices are nowadays sold in China before they are even presented at Western Expo's like Cebit and CES.

If at all... The Japanese and Chinese have such great toys that you never get your hand on in the west.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!