"King Of The File Managers"

Story: Deconstructing Nautilus and rebuilding it betterTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
tmx

Mar 17, 2010
4:39 PM EDT
"Plus, if you’ve ever used a Mac with OS X, then what you’ll be looking at there is the King Of The File Managers."

I am assuming the author is referring to "Finder". You've got to be kidding me, it's an underdeveloped heap of crap with a nice skin. Apple love to label everything they make as "THE MOST ADVANCE IN THE WORLD".

Have you ever tried to copy a folder over another folder of the same name in Finder? This operation will not merge files between two folders, but 'erase' everything in the latter folder. I cannot understand what the Apple developers are thinking. A bit of a slip and you could wipe out sensitive or gigabytes of data.

I like the design concept, but please leave my address bar alone.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 17, 2010
7:19 PM EDT
I hate finder. I've been using an OSX iBook for a couple of days now. Finder is one of the things that annoys me most (that, and the fact that Apple still thinks that one mouse button is enough)
dinotrac

Mar 17, 2010
7:41 PM EDT
Sander --

Something most people don't know:

Apples support 3-button mice
tuxchick

Mar 17, 2010
8:00 PM EDT
But do the three buttons do different things?
Sander_Marechal

Mar 17, 2010
8:04 PM EDT
@dino: I'm on the couch with an iBook. No mouse, just a touchpad. And only one button on it...
TxtEdMacs

Mar 17, 2010
8:27 PM EDT
So Sander ... your on the couch and you are playing with a iBook with no mouse. What does your therapist think about your activities. Is s/he a three button down type that disapproves? Just asking because you seem to be quite testy discussing this topic.

YBT
tmx

Mar 17, 2010
8:46 PM EDT
There is a review of 10 alternatives to Finder, unfortunately most of them has to be purchased. http://www.simplehelp.net/2006/10/08/10-os-x-finder-alternat...
Alcibiades

Mar 18, 2010
12:18 AM EDT
tmx is right, read in the intro that the Finder is king of file managers, and your jaw drops open, what on earth can they be smoking, is what you ask yourself. Or have they, like Rip van Winkle, just woken from a deep and restful slumber?

Talk about a blast from the past! Maybe next we can read how the Walkman is king of portable music players. Well, it was, once.

jacog

Mar 18, 2010
3:38 AM EDT
http://www.gpsoft.com.au/reviews.html

Text on this page claims that Directory Opus is the king of the file managers. I'm more inclined to believe that, than talking about Finder.

Personally I still prefer the old mc/nc style two panel view with all keyboard controlled file management.
hkwint

Mar 18, 2010
8:48 AM EDT
Hmm, should I fell sorry for myself that I never used a Mac and don't have an idea what this discussion is about?
theboomboomcars

Mar 18, 2010
9:56 AM EDT
I think finder is the main reason that I get so annoyed when I need to do something on my Grandma's Mac.

Hans, no don't feel sorry for yourself, feel grateful that you haven't had to deal with the horribleness that is finder.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!