Looking forward to GNOME 2.30

Story: GNOME Project Updates Free Desktop with 2.30 ReleaseTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
bigg

Apr 01, 2010
4:28 PM EDT
They finally set nautilus to default to browser mode. How many thousands of times I've had to change the default behavior and had to type nautilus --browser. Linus and others have shouted about this for years.

I have played around with the new GNOME shell in Sabayon. We'll see if it really is an improvement - I still haven't figured out what is improved except possibly the look.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 01, 2010
5:20 PM EDT
I always change to browser mode, too. Only takes a second.
bigg

Apr 01, 2010
5:45 PM EDT
A second times however many times you have to do it, particularly if you use a live CD, or if your wife is using it and doesn't know why such a stupid default exists.
tuxchick

Apr 01, 2010
6:36 PM EDT
By the time you get done changing all the stupid stuff, it's a lot more than a second.
bigg

Apr 01, 2010
9:52 PM EDT
It's already in the repos for Arch. I may have to give it a try.
helios

Apr 02, 2010
11:05 AM EDT
Have they included "copy to" "move to" and "open as root" in the context menu by default yet? Such an asinine thing to overlook...

Just test drove the Fedora 12 Community Edition and found these deficiencies PLUS the main complaint here of no side panel by default.

Many of the spinoff distros from Ubuntu, to include Mint, have corrected this. Makes you wonder who is at the switch here. Reminds me of the old joke that says a bunch of car designers were sitting around one day smoking pot and one of them stated:

"You know...(sharp inhale - cough)...what we need is a car with more glass and plastic parts..."

Six months later the Pacer rolled off the assembly lines. http://tinyurl.com/pngugq

That went well.
tuxchick

Apr 02, 2010
1:10 PM EDT
ROFL! Bullseye, Mr. Ken!
dinotrac

Apr 02, 2010
2:47 PM EDT
Hey! We had a Pisser, er, Pacer.

In defense of AMC, the thing had actually been designed to use a Wankel engine under development by GM. When GM dropped the rotor motor, the Pacer had to be re-engineered and re-designed to take conventional power.

The original concept would have been pretty cool.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 02, 2010
5:06 PM EDT
Quoting:Have they included "copy to" "move to" and "open as root" in the context menu by default yet? Such an asinine thing to overlook...

Just test drove the Fedora 12 Community Edition and found these deficiencies PLUS the main complaint here of no side panel by default.

Propose it to Gnome and *back it up*. Gnome has accepted changes that they did not like several times in the past because someone showed them (statistics et al) that most distros shipped said changes by default and that users wanted them.

If you can back up that e.g. most major distros add the "copy to" and "move to" functionality, there's a much better chance that Gnome will change it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!