One leap forward, 2 Giant ones backward

Story: I have seen the future, and it is GNOME 3Total Replies: 12
Author Content
devnet

Apr 05, 2010
4:51 PM EDT
as someone who has tried it out...I have to say it's cr@p and this article predicting it to be fantastic is full of it.

The problem is that people aren't going to be able to change it...and that's a problem. They'll be stuck with it whether they like it or not on distributions that have only Gnome 3.

This silly desktop is going to completely alienate older computers...required to run compiz components that are built into the shell.

All in all this is one leap forward and two giant leaps backward.
azerthoth

Apr 05, 2010
7:02 PM EDT
I see it as good news, we will soon be seeing a giant uptick in either my favorite Fluxbox, or in another lightweight such as XFCE, LXDE, or some other. The kings are dead (Gnome/KDE) long live the kings (WM's).
herzeleid

Apr 05, 2010
7:09 PM EDT
I hope to see e17 completed soon - hey, a man can dream, can't he?
gus3

Apr 05, 2010
7:32 PM EDT
I've already swtiched to LXDE.
tuxchick

Apr 05, 2010
7:50 PM EDT
herzeleid, the perfect gaming box: E18 + Duke Nukem Forever :D
herzeleid

Apr 05, 2010
9:18 PM EDT
Quoting:herzeleid, the perfect gaming box: E18 + Duke Nukem Forever :D
I think that might make a good sig...
tmx

Apr 05, 2010
10:56 PM EDT
For now I only dislike the Gnome Shell feature which is optional I think, I hope it is because its very poorly designed for productivity. It's centered around searching to launch apps, but you can't search if you are new to linux and unfamiliar with the apps and the alien interface.

Also the Shell is not compatible w/ Compiz (at least as of now), so that might piss off some more people too. It has its own compositing system that require a decent graphic card. I will still like Gnome since they are improving and expanding on what's currently. It's too early to judge since Gnome3 is almost a year from now so no need to panic unless you already hated it. As long as they don't impose too much radical changes... well I was trying out LXDE as well just in case they'll screw up like KDE.
hkwint

Apr 05, 2010
11:23 PM EDT
I'm glad Gnome 3.0 is out.

I was rather tired of all the KDE 4 BS ehr- I mean talk - in the forums, it might just be that we are finally rid of it.

Jack Wallen insisted on 'seeing it while it moves' so I watched some Youtube on Gnome 3, but I can't see what all the fuzz is about. The 'migration' of a program-based interface to a task-based interface has been going on longer I guess, it's only logical this trend continues I suggest.

Please wake me up when it outperforms WindowMaker on speed and simplicity. Until then, I'll be watching the show from my bed. Can't wait till spring, the massive Serengeti, I'll see the hypocrite flocks of dissatisfied Gnome users migrating to KDE 4 while peeing over Gnome.

Good thing about Gnome 3 is, at least it reminds of Windows Mobile 7, the 'iPhone OS that never was'.
caitlyn

Apr 06, 2010
12:20 AM EDT
I'm sure the GNOME shell will be as popular as the DOS Shell or the WorkPlace Shell (WPS) were in their times.
devnet

Apr 06, 2010
1:41 PM EDT
I think the shell they're talking of is what's going to be left of them if they go full on in this direction and drop 'ye olde gnome' as it is now.
tracyanne

Apr 06, 2010
5:05 PM EDT
GNOME Shell is pretty much how I use my Computer right now, only I have a fixed number of virtual desktops (9) - actually 9 on the main laptop monitor, and two on the 22 inch external monitor. If only I could find a way to make the VM running Windows see the second Virtual Desktop as a second Monitor, then I could use Windows as if it had a second Monitor.

I rather like GNOME Shell, it fits quite well with how I use my computer, the Menu on the desktop for a full size computer, I'm a little suss about, but it does work well with the small from factor devices. One addition I'd like to see to GNOME shell is the ability to kill a Virtual desktop while there are applications on it
Koriel

Apr 06, 2010
6:41 PM EDT
Time now for some honest to goodness trolling

KDE Rocks Gnome Sucks

Im with hkwint cant wait for the fun to start and just kick back with a beer and watch the ensuing hilarity as the linux desktop community does what they do best :)
dinotrac

Apr 07, 2010
12:07 AM EDT
Sometime, many years in the future, somebody will look back on 2010 and say, "That was the year that KnomDE was born, but...

don't worry. Some good things happened too."

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!