ubuntu site

Story: Ubuntu 10.04 is ReleasedTotal Replies: 26
Author Content
padrian

Apr 29, 2010
2:15 PM EDT
okay... so I wanna try 10.4 for netbook remix by torrent. And guess what? After 10 min circling around ubuntu.com site I found that there is no torrent for remix yet. On the opening day? C'on Canonical... I'm not sure how many resources they have for the website but for me... the website is something like a business card.

anyway... I bet that you can't navigate by max 4 clicks on the torrent page. It's a shame.

smallboxadmin

Apr 29, 2010
2:37 PM EDT
Did you try this link? http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/10.04/

Already downloaded the torrents for Desktop, Netbook and Server.
Teron

Apr 29, 2010
2:51 PM EDT
I find it odd that they still have the brown. What's the point of the visual reboot if the site is still the same old brown? They've got a nice colour scheme, so they should use it : /
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 29, 2010
2:51 PM EDT
I'll pull into double-edged-sword territory - you can avoid the rush by downloading an image before the release and keeping it updated as the final release date approaches.

Once a Ubuntu release is official, it's hellish to download it in any way for at least a week, maybe two. Even an in-place update is difficult since the mirrors are usually being hammered.

So I'd say wait at least two weeks if not a month. By then there might be fewer show-stopping bugs.
smallboxadmin

Apr 29, 2010
2:55 PM EDT
@Steven Rosenber

I just downloaded four torrents (Desktop i386/64bit, Netbook and Server) all in less than an hour. Though downloading the ISO images direct is not the way to go.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 29, 2010
2:59 PM EDT
I avoided torrents for the longest time but finally relented - it's the way to go, for sure.
penguinist

Apr 29, 2010
2:59 PM EDT
I really don't know why you guys are complaining about the speed at the Ubuntu site.

I just downloaded the desktop iso in 15 minutes and the server iso in 13 minutes. Average speed 931KB/s. It looks to me like the Ubuntu download site bandwidth is super for an opening day!

Forget torrent, just download it direct.
azerthoth

Apr 29, 2010
3:11 PM EDT
re torrents, if your sharing bandwidth with others, even if throttled it's a hellishly noisy protocol. Something to be considered when choosing that method is remembering that it will suck any and all available bandwidth just with it's keep alive's. For servers hosting iso's its wonderful as it backs down their bandwidth usage, but for ISP's and shared access points it's a nightmare.
caitlyn

Apr 29, 2010
3:30 PM EDT
I'm downloading the 64-bit version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 beta 1. I already have the 32-bit version. To me this is much more interesting (and useful) than Ubuntu.

Oh, and I'm getting it straight from the Red Hat FTP site using wget. It's averaging 170-180kbps and it's not slowing down or stopping my web browsing or other net activity the way bittorrent does.

I agree with az. I'm not a fan of bittorrent for precisely that reason. It's also often way slower than standard FTP when using it for something other than Ubuntu on release day.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 29, 2010
4:01 PM EDT
Certainly RHEL 6 is a huge deal because it'll be around for an age and then some.
salparadise

Apr 29, 2010
4:59 PM EDT
Running 10.4 RC here, dual booting with Windows 7, with no trouble at all.

(Once you get to the point where you start sneering at other Linux users cus they're not using the right version of Linux - you've lost the plot entirely).
tracyanne

Apr 29, 2010
5:09 PM EDT
I use bittorrent for almost all my downoads, I've never noticed any degrading od performance on my system, and I get to feel good, because by sharing the BT I can contribute back something to the community.... my bandwidth. BTW all uploads from my system are unmetered, so I go make torrents available 24/7.
tuxchick

Apr 29, 2010
5:11 PM EDT
What's the rush? It's just another Ubuntu release, not a fine beer and chocolate release.
theboomboomcars

Apr 29, 2010
5:13 PM EDT
TC if you wait too long, the next one will be out, and you'll have to start waiting all over again.
caitlyn

Apr 29, 2010
5:45 PM EDT
So, tuxchick, a new version of something like this would get you moving quickly, I'd bet:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/youngs-double-chocolate-stout/1...
azerthoth

Apr 29, 2010
6:01 PM EDT
The only world wide release I am looking forward to with any great zeal is Guinness Black Lager.
flufferbeer

Apr 29, 2010
6:31 PM EDT
@azertoth, Why not enjoy that nice lager or any other fine, non-flat beer ;) while you're waiting for the LL iso to slowly download or torrent-in? At least it's a good excuse as long as you're not doing this on-the-job (enjoying the beer, that is). -fb
tuxchick

Apr 29, 2010
6:37 PM EDT
Dreaming of good stout chewy beers....Paul Rubens wrote an interesting piece on how he thinks Apple has abandoned the desktop and server in favor of specialized toys, and Ubuntu is poised to take over: http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3878846/Ubuntus-L...
azerthoth

Apr 29, 2010
6:41 PM EDT
LL download ... heaven forbid. I haven't spent the last few years learning the ins and outs of Gentoo to go back to any binary 'you get what you get and you'll like it' distro. Mind you thats not a specific knock against Ubuntu, rather a gripe against 99% of all binary distro's. It would take more than beer for that to happen. Mayhaps if I was hitting the Bushmills too hard one night and managed to catch Computer Coyote Syndrome.
gus3

Apr 29, 2010
9:11 PM EDT
@az:

I'll take a primarily-binary distro over a "build it yourself, hope it works and the source code is reasonably bug-free, and good luck with your filesystem fragmentation!" distro any day.

But if you really, really want to build it yourself, you can get all the build scripts for Slackware packages, and tinker to your heart's content.
bigg

Apr 29, 2010
9:32 PM EDT
I agree gus3. I feel like Ubuntu etc. are more like appliances than operating systems, but I don't like the idea of having to compile everything either. Slackware and Arch as well are good if you want the option of compiling with little effort. For me the nice thing is that I can type one command and be installing a new version of some application an hour after it is released. Sometimes I've had to wait months for updated binaries on other distros, and then I'm digging through source files trying to figure out the incantations necessary to get it to compile.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 29, 2010
11:35 PM EDT
I wanted to like building applications from source with BSD ports, but I just can't stand it most of the time. I hate to wait.
theboomboomcars

Apr 30, 2010
9:51 AM EDT
Sabayon is another good binary distro that is easy to build on.
gus3

Apr 30, 2010
10:19 AM EDT
Quoting:I wanted to like building applications from source with BSD ports, but I just can't stand it most of the time. I hate to wait.
Well, given the hardware you use for experimenting, the wait is no surprise. Compiling is one of the more intense tasks a computer can do, right up there with protein simulations and the Large Hadron Collider.
azerthoth

Apr 30, 2010
11:12 AM EDT
@theboomboom, that was in the 1% that I mentioned. I might be a tad biased though on Sabayon.
theboomboomcars

Apr 30, 2010
1:18 PM EDT
az, you maybe. But it is a fantastic distro that doesn't get mentioned enough.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 30, 2010
4:53 PM EDT
One thing I can say about my adventures with the ports tree in FreeBSD and OpenBSD is that things go a lot better in i386. I wouldn't wish my time building ports in OpenBSD for 32-bit SPARC on anybody. That's a 50 MHz CPU (true, a SPARC at 50 MHz is more efficient that an Intel CPU of the same clock speed ...), and with so many ports that just refused to build, the frustration got the better of me.

Up until the three-day-long port upgrade that sunk my FreeBSD 7.3 installation, the few ports I did build turned out really well. I did easy ones like gThumb and even a few hard ones like Firefox 3.6. It was the system trying to rebuild every app from Ports that really killed me.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!