am I the only one....?

Story: Sprucing up the Linux desktopTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
Alcibiades

May 10, 2010
3:56 PM EDT
Am I the only one who reads about new ways of interacting with files, and feels a creeping sense of cold dread?

It must be age. However, I reflected that Fluxbox is most unlikely to ever offer me any new ways of either interacting with files or launching my apps. I don't think its ever going to track my usage to help me retrace my steps, either. Nor will it have some special pane in which it shows what apps are running and allows some probably very helpful way of moving between them, most helpful, and quite different from any way anyone else has ever thought of.

No, it will just get out of the way and hide at the bottom of the screen, and we will be very happy together!
techiem2

May 10, 2010
4:27 PM EDT
Lol nope. I like my file and app management just the way it is, thank you very much. Fluxbox plus Terminal plus Midnight Commander and CLI. The only thing I ever use the fluxbox menu for is exiting. I launch all my apps via a hotkey bound to gmrun or the terminal.
dinotrac

May 10, 2010
4:51 PM EDT
Guys --

Might be age (I'm a hundred million and three years old, myself), or it might simply be that old prescription:

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!!!!!!!!
Sander_Marechal

May 10, 2010
7:20 PM EDT
I'm with you guys. Zeitgheist looks like a horrible way to interact with files. I'll keep my directory stucture please. As for Gnome Shell, I got rid if Metacity a year ago and never looked back, so I'm never going to see Gnome Shell. Tiling Window Managers for teh win!
gus3

May 10, 2010
7:22 PM EDT
Interacting with files? How does one do that, talk to them?

I suppose that's not so bad. However, if they start talking back...
tuxchick

May 10, 2010
8:50 PM EDT
IMO file management can get messy, so better tools are fine with me. Konqueror, Nautilus, and a lot of 'save' dialogues in various apps support EZ fast symlinks. Just drag a folder icon to the left panel and instant shortcut. When you're done, delete them. This is a huge timesaver for me. The downside is every one is different, so when I'm working on a complex project where I'm using a bunch of different apps there is not one single configuration for all of my shortcuts. But that's a minor nit. Dolphin has evolved into a very nice file manager, almost as nice as Konqueror. About the only thing it doesn't do is embedded previews the way Konqueror does; that was always a favorite feature for me.
tracyanne

May 10, 2010
9:14 PM EDT
Quoting:Zeitgheist looks like a horrible way to interact with files.

Not only horrible, but causes incredible slowdowns when it tries to index your activity like when transferring 20 Gig from your home directory to a 1 TB USB drive. Brought my quad core to it's knees.
helios

May 12, 2010
11:23 AM EDT
but causes incredible slowdowns when it tries to index your activity like when transferring 20 Gig from your home directory to a 1 TB USB drive. Brought my quad core to it's knees.

As Nautilus and Konq have done to me time after time. the transfer speeds can spike and wane violently with no consistency to speed or memory/cpu usage. Have even had transfer-stopping errors on occasion. Large file transfer has always been a thing of pain with my Linux boxes and it's common across all DE's and file managers to my experience. .
tracyanne

May 12, 2010
5:04 PM EDT
Ken when Zeitgheist is indexing those files, we're not talking about the sort of minor slowdown that you get when transferring files using Nautilus or Konqueror or even Windows Explorer. I'm talking a bout the sort of slowdown where I had to Raise Skinny Elephants to get back control of my computer.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!