linux version?

Story: How to Watch Hulu.com in the UKTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
mbaehrlxer

May 21, 2010
5:47 AM EDT
this is a non-free advertising driven windows/mac application. it is neither free software nor is there even a linux version. why does this get posted as linux news?

greetings, eMBee.
tracyanne

May 21, 2010
6:47 AM EDT
It looks more like spam
JaseP

May 21, 2010
9:17 AM EDT
mbaehrllxer,... are you talking about hulu or the app this person was using to fool hulu into working outside the US???

Hulu has a Linux version (probably based on Wine by the performance of it, rather than a TRUE native app, but a Linux version nontheless). They provide both 32 & 64 bit versions for *.rpm & *.deb based distributions (Officially, they support Ubuntu and I can't remember if the *.rpm version is Red Hat, Fedora, or SuSE). I use it on a regular basis on my multi-media network (I live inthe US). You might not like its commericial nature, but it is the only way to see some particular episodic television series ("V," Lost, Stargate Universe, Family Guy, etc) if you have a scheduling conflict and do not have a working DVR. Plus, my wife uses it for catching up on her soaps when running the kids around forcces her to miss it,... which I love for its WAF (wife acceptance factor). Whenever the Mrs sees a benefit to my Linux-only, smart household madness, it helps justify me spending so much time on the project.

This guy's solution in fooling hulu was definitely a non-Linux app, but maybe whoever posted this did it because there IS a version of hulu for Linux.
bigg

May 21, 2010
9:21 AM EDT
There's a Hulu application? I've always watched it in the browser.
JaseP

May 21, 2010
9:35 AM EDT
Absolutely,... when you visit their site, go to "hulu labs," or something like that. The application's performance is much better than the performance through the browser. But at high resolutions, you might still get frame rate skipping, even with a decent broadband connection.
Koriel

May 21, 2010
12:44 PM EDT
I have been a regular watcher of Hulu since 2008 (cant afford satellite and to rural for cable) so all our TV is from the net, the ads are not to bad.

My family also watch a lot of UK TV im an expat based in USA and I have an article up here about how to access UK tv from abroad here http://www.caledoniacomputers.com/?p=1880

In the interests of full disclosure, I am the maintainer of SelekTOR.
bigg

May 23, 2010
10:21 PM EDT
I tried out the Hulu standalone player. Unbelievable. It looks incredible fullscreen on my 22-inch widescreen.
azerthoth

May 23, 2010
10:58 PM EDT
I was playing with huludesktop over this weekend for a short period. The display and interface is nice, it feel laggy though. I'll stick with the web interface for now.
mbaehrlxer

May 24, 2010
11:04 PM EDT
jaseP: sorry for not being clear, i was talking about the app being used to access hulu. i didn't consider hulu itself to be the news, as there are other more direct articles about that.

greetings, eMBee.
Aime

Sep 03, 2012
8:23 AM EDT
I’m also in the UK and have an account with blockless.com giving me a whole host of features based around their proxy services.

This works fine for me on Hulu..

:)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!