Looks interesting but...

Story: Digital Networks Releases Openvirt 2.0Total Replies: 5
Author Content
techiem2

May 25, 2010
9:23 PM EDT
Quoting: Q. Where do I download Openvirt from? A. Openvirt uses Ubuntu Server as the base operating system. You download and install Ubuntu Server. Contact us for instructions for installing Openvirt on Ubuntu Server. We only provide the software to UK based organisations.
tuxchick

May 25, 2010
9:54 PM EDT
Heheh, funny definition of "open".
Sander_Marechal

May 26, 2010
5:21 AM EDT
Well, there's an easy test. If anyone is in the UK, see if they will install OpenVirt on your box. You should get the source along with it. And you should be able to distribute the source to the rest of the world.

But it seems to me that OpenVirt is just a control panel on top of libvirt and KVM.
gus3

May 26, 2010
11:31 AM EDT
I thought source was required only if it was requested?
Sander_Marechal

May 26, 2010
12:09 PM EDT
Well, request it!
Craig_Lunt

May 26, 2010
9:04 PM EDT
1) it appears that OpenVirt is not Open ...so I assume it's proprietary ( but supplied at no charge?) 2) Seems these people think that Xen is proprietary ...

So obviously they have a disconnect in the understanding of the terms "open" and " proprietary" in reference to software. Hope they don't give KVM a bad name ... they certainly aren't doing the open source community any favors.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!