But not in Queensland Australia

Story: How to Sell Linux to SchoolsTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
Ridcully

May 29, 2010
7:26 PM EDT
This article is delightfully enthusiastic. Great. However, you cannot do that in Queensland. All schools software purchasing is controlled by the state government's IT section and they in turn are controlled by Microsoft oriented administrators. The schools have absolutely no fiscal benefit in looking at Linux since they do not control the funding or actually purchase the software. As a result, schools are locked into government contracts over three year periods (or something similar) and approaching the schools is utterly useless, they see no benefits in any alternative and are even forbidden to place any software other than Microsoft on their computers.

But can you get to the Government purchasing via another route ? The answer is ONLY with extreme difficulty and usually with doors slammed in your face. Remember that Microsoft controls the purchasing section via the indoctrinated administrators and they in turn make very sure that they and they alone have the ears of the politicians who make the actual decisions.......which is a bit of a laugh; it is the administrators who provide the material on which the politicians make the decisions, and you can guess which way that advisory material will be slanted.

I have been trying unsuccessfully to get the ears of some politicians now for over five years. Late last year I thought I had managed to open a door, but the Speaker decided that he did not want to even see the package that had been prepared until he had seen the material provided by his own IT department. I am sure you see which way that went. In Queensland you cannot get through the Redmond built brick walls and there are none so deaf as those who do not wish to hear. Queensland remains locked into an archaic, horrifyingly expensive software system largely on the basis of "user comfort and don't rock the boat", and of course, maintain the Microsoft monopoly at all costs.

PS........I have public documents which show that it is also a fact that a pivotal member of the Queensland Govt. IT planning department was heavily involved 3-5 years ago when the next round of software contracts (they went to Microsoft of course) was being planned. He then left Queensland Govt IT to become Microsoft's state director........But remember, Queensland Govt. decisions are not biased in any way other than for the benefit of the people of the state.......But perhaps I am being over cynical.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!