Orwellian EULA

Story: Linux,Windows and Mac users needed for the World Community GridTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
djohnston

Jun 17, 2010
12:05 AM EDT
I've been running folding@home for some years now. Stanford University's EULA can't touch the World Community Grid's.

Quoting:YOU WILL RUN THE SOFTWARE ONLY ON YOUR COMPUTER.
Single "license" only for a cancer research project that is farmed out to the public?

Quoting:IF YOUR PARTICIPATION ENDS, YOU WILL IMMEDIATELY EITHER RETURN TO WORLD COMMUNITY GRID OR DESTROY ALL SOFTWARE AND OTHER MATERIALS YOU RECEIVED FROM WORLD COMMUNITY GRID OR OTHERS IN CONNECTION WITH THE WORLD COMMUNITY GRID.
Proprietary "license"?

Quoting:SOFTWARE AND OTHER MATERIALS MAY HAVE VIRUSES OR THE DOWNLOAD SERVER MAY HAVE BEEN HACKED.
OK, I realize this software also runs on Windows. But, so does f@h.

Quoting:IN ADDITION, THERE IS NO WARRANTY OR PROMISE THAT THE SOFTWARE, SERVICES OR MATERIALS WILL NOT CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER OR YOUR DATA OR CAUSE COMPUTER INTERRUPTIONS.
Very reassuring.

Quoting:FURTHERMORE, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL WE OR OUR AFFILIATED COMPANIES AND OUR AND THEIR RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS, EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS OR AGENTS OR OTHER PARTICIPANTS OR CONTRIBUTORS IN WORLD COMMUNITY GRID OR SOFTWARE PROVIDERS BE RESPONSIBLE FOR OR LIABLE TO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE FOR ANY DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT DAMAGES AND CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR SPECIAL DAMAGES EVEN IF WE OR THEY HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THEIR POSSIBILITY, WHICH ARISE OR MAY ARISE IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR PARTICIPATION IN WORLD COMMUNITY GRID OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH WORLD COMMUNITY GRID.
Looks like standard boilerplate. But,
Quoting:EVEN IF WE OR THEY HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THEIR POSSIBILITY
Again, very reassuring.

Quoting:EACH PARTY WAIVES ITS RIGHT TO A JURY TRIAL AND AGREES THAT ANY CLAIM UNDER THIS AGREEMENT OR IN CONNECTION WITH WORLD COMMUNITY GRID MUST BE BROUGHT IN A FEDERAL DISTRICT COURT IN NEW YORK STATE.
And now I've waived reasonable legal rights in order to participate. That's the final nail in the coffin. NO, THANKS.

NOTE: I tried repeatedly to post this on the wordpress site linked to. The site's page, once it finally DID load, became unresponsive again. Very fitting.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!