But THEN they ONLY offer it on TWO LAPTOPS

Story: Dell advertizement: Ubuntu keeps getting better!Total Replies: 9
Author Content
paulhubert

Jun 17, 2010
11:26 AM EDT
So much for Dell.

I tried to configure different DESKTOP systems yesterday under the small to medium business portal and didn't even see the option (even for the Precision Workstation) for NO OS, let alone a version of Linux let alone Ubuntu.

So much for their 'confidence' in Ubuntu.

Liars. Bloody liars.

TELL them so!

Go out to their IdeaStorm site and TELL THEM to at least offer NO OS on ALL their systems. Then see if they'll even notice.

Still sucking at Microsoft's teat.
caitlyn

Jun 17, 2010
11:39 AM EDT
Two laptops is better than nothing, which is what all the other major vendors offer. (OK, HP has some overprices options in their business offerings and ASUS offers one nettop.) The fact is that Dell has stuck with at least some Linux offerings despite pressure from Microsoft to make them go away and limited demand other than on netbooks.

Sorry, I still think we should be thanking Dell, not chastising them.
lcafiero

Jun 17, 2010
11:53 AM EDT
That may be, caitlyn, but there's another issue with Dell: While I appreciate Dell's offering Ubuntu on their laptops, how much of a favor is Dell =really= doing for us by having a three-week/one-month delivery time when ordering an Ubuntu laptop on line, as opposed to a week or so delivery time for the same model with Windows? Voice of experience here: I tried to order a Dell for a client with Ubuntu and this was the result: nearly a month for Ubuntu, considerably less for Windows.

So, yes, "thank you, Dell" for offering Ubuntu, but do you think you might want to make acquiring a laptop with Ubuntu more equitable for on-line purchasers?

[Of course, I could go to a Linux-specific vendor like ZaReason to get a Linux-installed laptop of equal, probably better, quality . . .]
alc

Jun 17, 2010
11:57 AM EDT
"Of course, I could go to a Linux-specific vendor like ZaReason to get a Linux-installed laptop of equal, probably better, quality . . .]"

And support a company that supports Linux.
lcafiero

Jun 17, 2010
12:15 PM EDT
Indeed, alc
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 17, 2010
12:42 PM EDT
Larry, are there any companies shipping computers with Fedora preinstalled?
jdixon

Jun 17, 2010
12:52 PM EDT
> Sorry, I still think we should be thanking Dell, not chastising them.

Tenatively, yes. They are still offering Linux on their laptops and netbooks.. I would love to see them offer a desktop too, but so far their desktop support has been intermittent at best. But that's still better than any other major manufacturer.

Of course, I would be even more impressed if they were offering a supported update to Ubuntu 10.04 on their Mini-9's, instead of keeping them on 8.04.
lcafiero

Jun 17, 2010
12:53 PM EDT
The only one I know of is ZaReason, which offers Ubuntu, Fedora, LinuxMint and "No OS" as options. I don't know of any others, but if anyone else does, now would be a good time to speak up :-)

bigg

Jun 17, 2010
1:05 PM EDT
Build your own!
jdixon

Jun 17, 2010
1:39 PM EDT
> Larry, are there any companies shipping computers with Fedora preinstalled?

Sigh. OK, how long has it been there on the right side of the main LXer screen? At least a year now, I think.

http://lxer.com/module/db/index.php?dbn=14

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!