Good to see HP selling Linux to consumers again

Story: HP Linux NetbookTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
caitlyn

Jun 26, 2010
2:23 PM EDT
It's good to see HP offering Linux on a consumer netbook again. I've been very happy with my Mini 110.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 27, 2010
1:06 AM EDT
I've done quite a bit of laptop shopping recently (ended up with a Lenovo G555, which is the cheapest non-netbook out there).

I saw quite a few HP machines, and they've got it together design-wise — for the grown-ups, anyway.

This thing in the article http://www.handlewithlinux.com/hp-linux-netbook is hideous.
caitlyn

Jun 27, 2010
2:24 AM EDT
Hideous in what respect? Looks?
gus3

Jun 27, 2010
3:31 AM EDT
Yes.

From time to time, I like to change my desktop background.

I can't change the look that's painted on the keyboard and screen frame.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 27, 2010
1:25 PM EDT
I expect it to expel Care Bears from the USB ports at any given moment.
zentrader

Jun 27, 2010
3:05 PM EDT
Given MS ties to Novell, I'm wondering about the options of Windows or SUSE. Could there be a Microsoft tax included no matter which OS you choose.
jdixon

Jun 27, 2010
5:29 PM EDT
> Could there be a Microsoft tax included no matter which OS you choose.

A quick check of both options would probably tell you that, but since I have absolutely no use for HP machines, I'm not going to be the one doing it.
caitlyn

Jun 28, 2010
2:15 AM EDT
Even when HP offered Ubuntu there was no substantial price difference (or none at all) between Windows and Linux. So... you are paying the MS tax but HP may be pocketing it as additional profit.
dinotrac

Jun 28, 2010
6:46 AM EDT
Does the machine come with any crippleware?

If so, the assumption of a Microsoft tax may be nothing more than wishful thinking.

Presumably the crippled little netbook Windows costs HP less than $50 a pop. Maybe a lot less. Dial in any crippleware tie-ins, maybe a smidge more tech/etc time for Linux, and that evaporates in a hurry.
caitlyn

Jun 29, 2010
9:45 AM EDT
FWIW, I think the little netbook is cute.

Expelling Care Bears from a USB port would certainly be an innovative feature :)
gus3

Jun 29, 2010
9:59 AM EDT
Quoting:Expelling Care Bears from a USB port would certainly be an innovative feature
So would expelling them from the UNIVERSE.
dinotrac

Jun 29, 2010
10:24 AM EDT
gus3 --

Be careful what you wish for. I hear the alternative is smurfs.
caitlyn

Jun 29, 2010
12:16 PM EDT
Quoting:I hear the alternative is smurfs.

Actually, it's purple dinosaurs. Lots and lots of little clones of Barney, each as annoying as the original.
jdixon

Jun 29, 2010
1:08 PM EDT
> Lots and lots of little clones of Barney, each as annoying as the original.

In some ways it's a shame usenet is pretty much dead. The group alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die had some good posts on occasion. Checking on Google now indicates that it's mostly just political spam.
theboomboomcars

Jun 29, 2010
8:56 PM EDT
My favorite mod for the original Wolfenstein 3D was the barney one. Nothing like going around shooting Bevis and Butthead, with the Main bad guy being Barney the Dinosaur singing you to death, great fun.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!