Done Deal

Story: Rancid IE6 'more secure' than Chrome and Opera US bank saysTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
helios

Jul 05, 2010
10:05 PM EDT
I went to my Chase branch and closed my accounts when this story broke. Of course the obligatory "Why are you leaving us"?

My simple answer:

"The head of your IT security is an idiot. I cannot take a chance banking online with you"

Took my cash and left.
azerthoth

Jul 05, 2010
10:19 PM EDT
Always been happy with wellsfargo, never an issue with linux or firefox. As well as being one of the only backs that managed to stay unaffected or in need of a bail out during even the worst of the silliness. I like a stable bank.
krisum

Jul 05, 2010
10:44 PM EDT
I see the whole article is a blatant misrepresentation of the actual FAQ it links to: https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?pg_name=ccpmapp/shared/a...

Not to mean that supporting all standards compliant browsers should not be obligatory for all half-way decent sites, the actual reason simply seems to be "popularity" as the FAQ states. It never makes mention of chrome or opera as the article makes out to be. However, continuing to support IE6 or even ffox 2.0 is not be a good idea in terms of "security" as the FAQ states as one of the reasons for not supporting all browsers.
tmx

Jul 05, 2010
11:38 PM EDT
I already closed my Chase credit card, I might see if they let me in a Credit Union so I can close the checking account too.
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 06, 2010
12:15 AM EDT
I have a Chase account, and I'm using Chromium more and more, so I'll be looking into this. I'm OK to use Firefox for banking, so this won't be a deal-breaker for me.

I already stopped using my Citibank account because they not only don't support any browser in Linux, they lock out all users on platforms that are not Win or Mac.

I can understand support for IE6, even though they should man up and cut off all of IE6. I don't consider it when I'm developing, though I do sometimes check a page in IE6 when there's a problem in IE7 and 8.

Opera is one of my favorite browsers, but it has so few users I don't blame a company for not supporting it. I also don't do a lot of cross-browser testing in Opera. I have so few Opera users on my sites that it's just not worth the trouble.

Chrome, however - that's going to be a big problem, and I have a feeling Google and Chase will be having some discussions that will result in support for the Chrome browser.

I mostly test on Firefox, making sure things look good in IE7 and 8. And I have fixed some code for Chrome.

jacog

Jul 06, 2010
4:16 AM EDT
Quoting:I'm OK to use Firefox for banking, so this won't be a deal-breaker for me.

What you should be more concerned about is that this bank obviously has no clue what security is, and would happily ignore what has already proven to be unsecure, either by stupidity, or by accepting money in a dark alley ... bad either way.
gus3

Jul 06, 2010
9:54 AM EDT
Quoting:I can understand support for IE6
I can't, when even Microsoft is saying "put down the mouse, and move away from IE6!".
bigg

Jul 06, 2010
10:11 AM EDT
> I can't, when even Microsoft is saying "put down the mouse, and move away from IE6!".

Yes, the update is free. There is absolutely no reason not to upgrade given what we know. If this is how they handle the part of security that we see, so it is the part where they are actually careful, I can only imagine how they handle the parts that we don't see. What word represents something stronger than complete incompetence?
jdixon

Jul 06, 2010
11:36 AM EDT
> I can't, when even Microsoft is saying "put down the mouse, and move away from IE6!".

Neither can I, but a number of large businesses don't agree with us. Many are only now even contemplating the move away from IE6. Once they finally decide to do it, it will still be a year or more before the migration is complete. Dropping IE6 support means those customers can't bank from work. Chase knows this, and has a pretty good idea how many customers are affected.
jhansonxi

Jul 06, 2010
12:15 PM EDT
@krisum: Stop pointing out the facts, it's ruining the drama!

I suspect the actual problem was a mistake on the part of overworked IT staff. I put the assault team on standby until more info is available.
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 06, 2010
1:59 PM EDT
However vulnerable IE6 may be, they're too worried about customers who haven't upgraded. They should be selling security and blacklisting IE6 and forcing customers to upgrade, but we all know how IT departments can be.
tuxchick

Jul 06, 2010
3:07 PM EDT
It wasn't that long ago that Netscape users were often confronted with "This site requires (or Works Best!) with Internet Explorer! Free download here!" So why is that same advice not given for Firefox, Chrome, and *shudder* the appropriate IE versions?
gus3

Jul 06, 2010
3:23 PM EDT
There are plenty of sites recommending Firefox, Opera, and Chrome. They also have the advantage of being "standards compliant" usually.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!