So far I'm really impressed with the GNOME desktop version

Story: Mandriva fights through money woes, releases 2010 SpringTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
tracyanne

Jul 11, 2010
5:30 PM EDT
I have it running in a VM, and it's looking really good, responsive, fast boot, haven't run it long enough to determine reliability. If I ever manage to get the KDE desktop version running on my VM I'll let you know If I've softened my stance on KDE4.
bigg

Jul 11, 2010
8:56 PM EDT
I've been running it a couple days on the laptop that is currently my primary home computer. I had been running Mint. Running the KDE desktop and so far it's excellent. I've never been a fan of KDE, and KDE 4.x has always left a bad taste in my mouth, but I haven't found any issues thus far. Pretty good for a company said to be on the verge of bankruptcy.
jacog

Jul 12, 2010
3:52 AM EDT
That company has been on the verge of bankruptcy since 1938. Hell, I remember the newspaper headlines as clear as if I wrote them this morning: "Seabiscuit Wins Against War Admiral. NYSE Unveils 15-Point Plan To Protect Investors. Mandriva On The Verge Of Bankruptcy, ZOMG!"

Nooooo, it managed to endure this long, I am sure it can hold out a little longer.
hkwint

Jul 12, 2010
6:31 AM EDT
As the Russian state OS advances, I'm pretty sure Mandriva's money woes are over, as long as they remain friends with 'the party'.

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=138459

The French are pretty good at doing business with the Russians AFAIK, so I think all will work out.

I wouldn't be surprised if Alt Linux merges with Mandriva either.

Apart from that, I always understood Mandrake was one of the best KDE distro's around, while Fedora and Kubuntu "normally" aren't, so I have to give this one a try.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!