Love it,...

Story: MeeGo Selected to Power In-Vehicle Infotainment DevicesTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
JaseP

Jul 29, 2010
10:34 AM EDT
I Love it,...

Good. I was thinking M$ was going to try to dominate the in-car market with their "Sync". Now it looks like they should have spelled it, "Sink." Better watch out though,... They filed for a patent for computers mounted in a car, connected to a network!!! It's one of the claims they made in their suit against TomTom. I guess all the prior art, like the police in-car database computer systems in place since the mid-to-late 1980s, weren't on point [rolls eyes].

Meego will be good for in Car,... Entertainment, Navigation (including Tracking, as in where the kids are or went, and how fast), Communication, and maybe smart engine performance/systems control,... especially if it starts adapting more of its Nokia Maemo roots as far as interface goes...

Meego systems will be more portable and able to be customized than current commerical solutions.
theboomboomcars

Jul 29, 2010
10:41 AM EDT
Quoting:They filed for a patent for computers mounted in a car, connected to a network!!!

Seems odd they could even get it through since back when I was doing emissions testing OBDII was being replaced with CAN or Car Area Network, so instead of having 1 computer to run every thing, simpler computers were integrated into the sensors and communicated via a network.
gus3

Jul 29, 2010
11:17 AM EDT
Quoting:simpler computers were integrated into the sensors and communicated via a network.
... and everyone driving on Interstate 880 picks up a virus.

When will these people f%@#^ LEARN?!?
theboomboomcars

Jul 29, 2010
1:27 PM EDT
It is a wired network, so you can't get a drive by software update.

That is one reason I will not consider buying a new Ford or Kia, MS has not shown that they can make a decent OS that is safe while networked, and since that is a big part of what sync, and what ever Kia is calling theirs, um no.
zentrader

Jul 29, 2010
3:47 PM EDT
"Before you wince at the word 'infotainment' "

I wince at the word "Meego". Apparently some suit let their 5 year old come up with a name. If the software is used by someone else then wouldn't it be "Youugo" (which once was voted the worst car ever built). Seriously, Google is sure to get Android in the mix somewhere. I'm just glad the big players, and not just Tom Tom, are in this time as they should not be intimidated M$'s scare tactics.
jezuch

Jul 29, 2010
5:50 PM EDT
Quoting:'infotainment'

The first I saw this word I thought it was "infotaintment".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!