Refreshing

Story: Interview with Richard StallmanTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Jul 30, 2010
3:35 AM EDT
That was a very refreshing read. Much better than 99% of the RMS interviews that just ask the same questions over and over again.
JaseP

Jul 30, 2010
9:19 AM EDT
Agreed,...

Plus I found myself agreeing with Stallman on about 75% of what he was saying, when normally my Stallman Acceptance Ratio (or S-A-R) is about 45-50%.

I still think he is just a little too extreme, and suffers from a public image problem (largely, but not entirely, of his own creation). A key example of that is the question he was asked illustrating how he ripped the teenager a new one when he referred to "Linux" as "Linux" rather than "GNU/Linux." I understand his points about that, and agree that Linux is only the kernel, made useful by all the other GNU applications and components of the system,... But jeesh,... You can still call a generic cotton swab a "Q-tip" without getting bashed by generic cotton swab manufacturers nearly as badly...
azerthoth

Jul 30, 2010
11:14 AM EDT
Much better than normal, I agree. I wasn't ready to strangle him 3 sentences in.
mrider

Jul 30, 2010
11:38 AM EDT
I particularly like his answer to the question "PS. What's your favorite movie?"

Funny, I long since adopted that strategy myself purely to save my sanity. :)
tmx

Jul 30, 2010
1:31 PM EDT
He uses the same 64gb Patriot USB stick as I do, except I lost my cap.
jezuch

Jul 30, 2010
6:15 PM EDT
Quoting:You can still call a generic cotton swab a "Q-tip" without getting bashed by generic cotton swab manufacturers nearly as badly

AFAIK this is an English/American phenomenon, I mean calling generic stuff by one brand's name. I know that at least in my language this is almost unthinkable (with a few exceptions such as "xero").

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!