One thing wrong with Mint...

Story: Linux Mint 9 KDE Review and ScreenshotsTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
JaseP

Jul 30, 2010
9:24 AM EDT
I would like Mint much better if it came with Cairo-dock installed from the beginning... Otherwise, it is nice, but too generic. I like it, but would prefer it to be more "snazzy." I will say that it WAS an easier install than Ubuntu Lucid on my early model ASUS 8GB netbook.
tmx

Jul 30, 2010
10:24 AM EDT
That would be easy. You can use a tool called UCK to easily customize your Ubuntu distro iso, that includes Mint. At one point UCK will let you customize by going into either synaptic or terminal, you can search for cairdo-dock in synaptic and install it.
jdixon

Jul 30, 2010
11:12 AM EDT
> I like it, but would prefer it to be more "snazzy.

Design the look you like, package it up, and release it for others to use. Problem solved, and those who agree with you have a one step solution.
tracyanne

Jul 30, 2010
11:30 PM EDT
I really hate those Mac like dock panels, I hate it on the Mac and I hate all the Linux copies.
azerthoth

Jul 30, 2010
11:36 PM EDT
know the other thing wrong with it? finishing the install by pulling even more from the net.

"Hi our install actually requires a DVD, we are going to trick you though and just let it download the rest of the packages during install"

psst if I had wanted to do a net install I would have done a net install.
tmx

Jul 31, 2010
2:19 AM EDT
Well since we are on a roll. I hate how when you type 'sudo apt-get install', it automatically download and install without confirmation, even if you are about to download 50 packages. Even Windows is smart enough to ask for confirmation. Of course there is a setting file somewhere that you can change this behavior, but I forgot what exactly it is.

Oh, also it come with proprietary packages. I rather that it ask the user if they want to install them.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 31, 2010
4:14 AM EDT
@tmx: What distro/version? On my Debian and Ubuntu machines, apt and aptitude always ask for confimation if more then one package is going to be installed. Only when I do something like `aptitude install foo` and foo has no additional dependencies, then it installs without confirmation.

Perhaps you should take a look at your apt/aptitude configuration.
tmx

Jul 31, 2010
2:09 PM EDT
I did changed the setting, I will quote myself:
Quoting:Of course there is a setting file somewhere that you can change this behavior, but I forgot what exactly it is
(because I changed the setting when I was testing Linux Mint, but I am not using Linux Mint right now. I would like to boot Mint to find out the correct file location, but it seem to run extremely slow in Virtualbox.)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!