US? Why?

Story: Debian Developer Conference under way in New York CityTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
Grishnakh

Aug 03, 2010
8:49 PM EDT
Whose dumb idea was it to have this in the US? Someone could get arrested for some kind of IP violation.
jdixon

Aug 03, 2010
10:15 PM EDT
> Someone could get arrested for some kind of IP violation.

Unfortunately all too true. And I say that as a US citizen (well, technically, you're a citizen of your state, not the US, but...).
JackieBrown

Aug 03, 2010
10:59 PM EDT
You can get arrested anywhere. Why not the US?
azerthoth

Aug 03, 2010
11:06 PM EDT
Sorry when was the last (or the first for that matter) time someone was arrested for IP violation in the US? Thanks for the sensationalism ...
gus3

Aug 03, 2010
11:07 PM EDT
@jdixon:

You (for your understanding of "you") are a citizen of both. The US Constitution speaks of both "Citizen[s] of the United States" and "Citizens of different States."
gus3

Aug 03, 2010
11:10 PM EDT
az,

February 3, 2010.

http://www.ice.gov/pi/nr/1002/100203sanjuan.htm

If you read it, it's bogus, but still, IP violation is named as one of the offenses.
azerthoth

Aug 03, 2010
11:33 PM EDT
UM yeah ... in the US?
bigg

Aug 04, 2010
7:09 AM EDT
> Someone could get arrested for some kind of IP violation.

Or indecent exposure, or drunk driving, or lots of other things. What is the point of this thread?
azerthoth

Aug 04, 2010
11:19 AM EDT
bigg, no point at all that I am aware of, other than one person showing a bit of prejudice and another person (me) calling them out on it. Other than that a pointless thread, and probably one that shouldn't have been started in the first place.
hkwint

Aug 04, 2010
4:01 PM EDT
Quoting:Sorry when was the last (or the first for that matter) time someone was arrested for IP violation in the US?

Three weeks ago (the week before July 8th), because someone stole IP belonging to the Government?

Seriously though, I'd probably feel more comfortable in New York than in Banja Luka.
henke54

Aug 05, 2010
9:36 AM EDT
>Seriously though, I'd probably feel more comfortable in New York than in Banja Luka.

@hkwint : seriously ? :

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2008566,00.ht...
hkwint

Aug 05, 2010
7:55 PM EDT
It's mostly what happened in Banja Luka. I think it might be a nice town nowadays however, I'm not sure. That's probably why the next DebConf will be held there in first place, I guess. Probably just being a bit sensitive.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!