Systematic Burying.

Story: Digg, dug, buried: LinuxTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Aug 07, 2010
2:47 PM EDT
Yep, like you, Scott, I gave up on Digg when I realized there was systematic burying going on.

Not worth the effort.
gus3

Aug 07, 2010
4:14 PM EDT
I just now noticed that Digg was gone from the links.

I've made a point of ignoring most things Digg ever since 2007, when the Digg-bots were hurriedly burying anything critical of their favorite political party.
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 07, 2010
6:22 PM EDT
We have removed the link to Digg from the LXer front page.
ComputerBob

Aug 07, 2010
7:43 PM EDT
I can personally vouch for a very Linux-friendly site that would be very happy to have its link take the place of Digg's.     ;)
hkwint

Aug 08, 2010
6:27 PM EDT
A bit sad,

I liked the idea of Digg. But after we (a bunch of LXer visitors) were accused of 'Digg-storming', I stopped visiting the site and reading the stories. In my opinion, their rules were quite incoherent, because they released code for 'HTML buttons' which were exactly meant for that very same purpose.

Nowadays, I almost forgot the site is still in existence.
tracyanne

Aug 08, 2010
11:50 PM EDT
Never go there unless there's a link from here, so I guess that's it.
patrokov

Aug 09, 2010
10:54 AM EDT
Not to mention that it's annoying when you read an article and half or more of the comments are nothing more than links to Digg. Or when someone sends you an article on Digg and the Digg article page seems to be an endless loop back to the Digg page.
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 09, 2010
2:52 PM EDT
LXer is way better than Digg. H#ll, Slashdot is way better than Digg ...
bigg

Aug 09, 2010
3:33 PM EDT
I gave up on it during the presidential election. It was obvious at that time that it was messed up. All of the "popular" stories were favorable to Obama, and there was never anything favorable to McCain. (Disclosure: I voted for Obama.) I haven't been there since probably August 2008. What is said about Linux stories being systematically voted down would not surprise me at all.
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 09, 2010
4:17 PM EDT
Sticking to FOSS.. it felt like it happened overnight.

I am not about to give away my or by proxy any LXer secrets but in the short time it had existed Digg had quickly become included in what I do to find stories for our newswire and it was great. When I can, I like to get a 'scoop' or two on the LXer newswire and I have many friends who will stay un-named to thank for many that made it. But Digg was a goldmine, what Digg taught me was 'check the link'. And if it wasn't there and I could not find it on my own thru searching, then no newswire for you.

Then one day the page layout changed, they indexed the Linux content so it was literally impossible to find jack squat and I walked. No matter what you tried to look for, by date, or name or author the results were cr@p. I am not one to brag but I think the LXer team knows how to find Linux news on the internet..Digg is a waste of time.

Scott
Sander_Marechal

Aug 10, 2010
3:09 AM EDT
Quoting:Then one day the page layout changed

A yes. The day they removed the "new & upcoming" section and replaced it with their utter crap "recommendation engine".
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 11, 2010
1:08 AM EDT
Did Digg ever do an IPO or get bought?
TxtEdMacs

Aug 11, 2010
7:06 AM EDT
Steven,

It was a behind the scenes, private sale where Digg is Owned by MS entirely*.

YBT

* Told to me by a confidential source that has been 99.999... % unreliable in the past**.

** Can you do any better?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!