I realy don't have a problem with this.

Story: Canonical explain the new Ubuntu census packageTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
tracyanne

Aug 11, 2010
8:31 PM EDT
I have thought for a long time that somthing like this is a good idea. We really do need a better idea of how many Linux powered machines there are out there. This will gives us some idea, at least, of how many Ubuntu powered machines, from this particular system builder, that are still running Ubuntu. What it won't tell us, though,is whether those machines were re purposed as other Linux machines.
jdixon

Aug 11, 2010
9:10 PM EDT
> I have thought for a long time that somthing like this is a good idea.

As long as it's voluntary, yes. It shouldn't be installed by default though. The user should be asked first.
tracyanne

Aug 11, 2010
9:13 PM EDT
I believe it can be uninstalled with a simple apt-get remove, or by unchecking it in synaptic.. But it will be installed, at least on this OEM's computers, by default.
jdixon

Aug 11, 2010
9:16 PM EDT
> ...But it will be installed, at least on this OEM's computers, by default.

As the OEM, you're acting as the agent for the user (admittedly in advance), so that's OK. And since it's undoubtedly a package, I'm sure it can be easily removed.
azerthoth

Aug 12, 2010
12:11 AM EDT
ah, so the regenerating flash cookies are OK too now that people know about them?
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 12, 2010
12:16 AM EDT
You are on the Internet..you are being watched, informed, tracked, entertained, cataloged..shall I continue? ;-)
gus3

Aug 12, 2010
12:20 AM EDT
It's the mark of the Beast!

Oh, wait, this is the Internet...

It's the mark of the Breast!
tracyanne

Aug 12, 2010
2:27 AM EDT
So is the mark of the beast "http" or is it "@", as no one, it seems, can communicate without the "@".
jdixon

Aug 12, 2010
8:40 AM EDT
> ...so the regenerating flash cookies are OK too now that people know about them?

Did they ask first? I'm pretty sure the answer to that is no. And most people still don't know about them.
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 12, 2010
7:58 PM EDT
Quoting:You are on the Internet..you are being watched, informed, tracked, entertained, cataloged..shall I continue? ;-)

Giving users the anonymity they want and need is something I hope happens more and more in the near future, and I really think that Linux and BSD should lead the way in providing easier and more complete ways for users to retain their privacy.
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 13, 2010
1:46 AM EDT
I hope your right Steve, but I don't see my words being untrue for a long time..:-(
azerthoth

Aug 13, 2010
10:50 AM EDT
As time goes by Scott I see them more true than now, and now is scary enough.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!