I shall NOT denigrate KDE4 nor the KDE4 team in ANY way !!

Story: Open-Source GPU Drivers Causing Headaches In KDE 4.5Total Replies: 11
Author Content
Ridcully

Sep 05, 2010
7:04 AM EDT
Okay.......I'd reckon that most people who write on these pages know that I love KDE3.5 for its stability, ease of use, speed, flexibility, simplicity and intuitive use of menus; oh yes, and that I support the Trinity KDE project. Fine. So, I have read this story. Now, KDE4 supporters, please flock to this site and tell me that this problem will be solved and that KDE4 will be faster, meaner, sleeker, easier to use, more stable, more intuitive for the menus, really brilliant, and all the rest........and that KDE3.5 adherents are just a dying breed and this is just another kick in the teeth at the KDE4 team and I should be ashamed of myself for even saying anything, that I am kicking a dead horse, etc. etc.......Oh well........But I am not denigrating nor have I ever intimated such a thing..........aw shucks. Exits stage left with loud evil laughter. "And now" (as Leonard Graves in Victory at Sea would say) bring on the scourges of my soul and prove me so wrong - or is it "Bring on the empty horses", aka David Niven. :-D
montezuma

Sep 05, 2010
9:53 AM EDT
Holy crap what a rant on a Sunday morning (here anyway). It's only a gui!
Koriel

Sep 05, 2010
4:19 PM EDT
Yeh lots of ignorant anti kde4 sentiment about but its all bs punted about by idiots i have absolutely no time for, I have stopped using kde4 myself for the moment but not because its bad it is not, its a very good desktop if your willing to change and adapt but because it simply wont work with some of the latest graphics cards and its not kde's fault its the graphics card drivers and it is not just the intel driver its also the proprietary ati fglrx driver as well my problem is i spent $100+ on a new ATI Radeon 5770 not yet fully supported by the open source driver or the proprietary driver and it is pretty much unuseable under KDE4, so for the moment ive move to xfce where their are less issues but still some all the same, such as slow screen redraw but not as bad as under KDE4. Now their are absolutely no problems if you use nvidia everything works and beautifully on KDE4 so what im doing very soon is moving my ATI card to a windows only gaming machine im in the process of building and taking an NVidia GF7300 which a friend is giving me and putting that in my Linux dev machine at which point i can switch back KDE4 which i miss, although i like XFCE as well as i use it on my lower powered machines wish LXDE was ready for primetime as i like that even more than XFCE but it has too many issues that affect my work flow but it will get better over time.

Ive used a lot of desktops in my time none of them really bad it all just depends on the way a person does things and if a particular desktop is going to suit them, KDE 4 suits me right down to the ground, anyways ill be back to it in a few days just waiting for a PSU from Newegg and the new gaming machine will be finished and i can offload the ati card on that.

Should also add that the really funny thing about this whole graphics card mess is that the only one that works perfectly is the proprietary NVidia one, those guys have taken a lot of flak in their time but at least they know how to make a driver and until they falter if they ever do they will always be my first choice on Linux will continue to use ATI on windows though simply due to price vs performance.

Edited for bad grandma, speeling and punktuation.
Ridcully

Sep 05, 2010
4:58 PM EDT
Absolutely right Montezuma.........I got fed up with being serious just for once. Mind you, the generous single malt I had partially consumed and the fact that I'd just watched the first three episodes of a Fathers Day gift of "Victory at Sea" couldn't have contributed either, could they ? :-D I think Koriel's dead right on the video matter and he's being serious again, so I 'spose I'd better be too; besides, it's morning here now after a good night's rain. I also agree with Koriel in another implied way: each to his own, and what suits one, doesn't suit another.
tracyanne

Sep 05, 2010
6:08 PM EDT
KDE4 still seems to me to be a solution in search of a problem.
Koriel

Sep 05, 2010
9:20 PM EDT
Really the whole point is choice and Linux pretty much lets you use whatever you want on the desktop instead of being stuck with what MS lumbers you with, I have no problem with people having a go at KDE 4 as long as its legitimate im certainly no fanboi when they released KDE 4.0 im afraid they got what they so rightly deserved for releasing incredibly buggy code as a mainstream release, Ive said before KDE4 only became useable at 4.3 but as far as im concerned having a go at them for changing the way you use a desktop well thats a UI preference and quite frankly you dont have to use their UI if you dont want to you are all free to go away and use KDE3.5, Gnome, XFCE, LXDE, Windowmaker the list is practically endless if you cant find something that suits you with the range that Linux offers you then quite frankly nothing will ever be good enough for you.

Cant wait for KDE 5 apparently they plan to do away with desktops and monitors completely, it will be wired straight to your brain where they can feed you re-runs of Das Boot as your screensaver those crazy germans and every new window you opens comes with a free pint of Becks me im all for it lets hope they dont release too early and all we end up with is Schlager.

ComputerBob

Sep 06, 2010
10:08 AM EDT
@Koriel

Here are some periods: ...........

Feel free to use them.
hkwint

Sep 06, 2010
7:45 PM EDT
TA:

My "Kontact" error log looks more like a problem in search of a solution if you'd ask me...

4.5.1 ought to solve some of these PIM - issues it seems (more precise: some Gentoo-devs say so), if not I may need something else for my addressbook.
tracyanne

Sep 07, 2010
6:44 AM EDT
Quoting:if not I may need something else for my addressbook.

I use Evolution, have done so for years, works a treat for me.
Koriel

Sep 09, 2010
9:01 PM EDT
Periods are for wimps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ComputerBob

Sep 09, 2010
9:05 PM EDT
Quoting:Periods are for wimps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And people who want others to read what they've written.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 09, 2010
9:24 PM EDT
Periods are final. Period.

;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!