Insane

Story: Linux Mint Based On Debian Released - And It's A Rolling Distribution!Total Replies: 34
Author Content
ELF

Sep 09, 2010
5:37 AM EDT
I installed LMDE last night and am very impressed. Against all odds it was rather easy getting the Broadcom 4312 wireless chip to work manually (installed the fwcutter package related to the specific chip). I never achieved to get WLAN on that machine (HP 6735s) working with vanilla Debian.

I only have one major gripe: Like in the regular Mint 9 edition packages are installed without authentication. This is insane. Hope to get this serious flaw fixed at least for the debian repos tonight.

My verdict: LMDE is Ubuntu "done right" (except for the missing package auth).

Eckhard
jimbauwens

Sep 09, 2010
7:01 AM EDT
I tried it also, and i'm impressed. Maybe I'll replace ubuntu on my netbook with it.
bigg

Sep 09, 2010
8:05 AM EDT
Hopefully this will put and end to the claims that Mint is Ubuntu+codecs. That was the case with the very first release, now Clem does this full time, and they make a lot of changes to Ubuntu. It should be clear to anyone that this is not a small change to Debian.
helios

Sep 09, 2010
10:12 AM EDT
Bigg, you make a good point. However most of the people that make the claim that Mint is just Ubuntu in a green dress haven't bothered to try it, at least the ones I talked to. It's not my intention to start any distro scuffles here because I know that many people are passionate about the distro they use. I'm just saying that people need to look under the hood before they make such statements.

Heaven forbid that two popular distributions ever form professional European Soccer teams...there would be carnage in the stands before the first goal.

Personally I use Mint and I use Mint for the majority of our HeliOS Solution installs. I do so because it meets our needs much better than any other distro. It has nothing to do with any distro religion...it just works for us. As stated, all the codecs for an out of the box experience are there PLUS, Clem and his guys have seemed to fix bugs that Ubuntu has left unattended for several releases now.

Most importantly, they realize that their users like the ctrl alt backspace and ctrl alt delete commands. They trust their users to know what that specific combination of keys does. Also, when I click on shutdown, I don't want to be asked if I really want to shut down.

No you idiot, I was asking for a chocolate milkshake and a backrub.

sheesh....

I ran the live cd last night and remain impressed with Clem and his volunteers. They are doing good things and the debian community should be flattered.

h
tuxchick

Sep 09, 2010
3:07 PM EDT
When a distro supplies choc shakes and backrubs, I am never switching ever again.
azerthoth

Sep 09, 2010
3:11 PM EDT
I have my mothers computer on LM and manage it for her, you can say alot of things about it, package selection and OOB config are superior to Ubuntu, however saying that it's Ubuntu plus codecs is not all that far off the mark. You need only watch where the lions share of the updates are pulled from. I will be looking at LMD seriously in the near future for that computer, Debian testing being a whole lot more trustworthy than the mishmash of sid/ubuntweaks.

Hopefully LMDE will be what Ubuntu could have been, Debian for the normal user with a the normal user in mind from start to finish. For me though, I don't think I'll be using it for my systems. I'm too addicted to Funtoo/Gentoo/Sabayon way of doing things.

Funtoo = Daniel Robbins + (Gentoo - Committee)
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 09, 2010
Chocolate shakes and encrypted LVM ...
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 09, 2010
and for all TuxRadar Podcast listeners, pink ponies.
gus3

Sep 09, 2010
3:49 PM EDT
@tc:

Intel already has the backrubs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36d7jLn0pQY
caitlyn

Sep 10, 2010
1:34 AM EDT
I'm all for the chocolate shakes.

The Broadcom 4312 chipset has a number of different revisions which are quite different from one another. Some work with b43 and fwcutter and some just don't. The ones that don't also often will prevent Linux from booting when it tries to load the ssb module on which b43 depends. See http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2010/06/avoiding-linux-installa... for the workaround on the HP Mini 110 and Mini 210 netbooks.

If b43 and fwcutter don't work then the proprietary Broadcom STA driver will work. Ubuntu packages it but Debian does not. I haven't tried Debian Mint yet so I don't know if it's included and, if not, if the Ubuntu package will work.
gus3

Sep 10, 2010
1:44 AM EDT
Speaking of Broadcom:

Quoting:Broadcom would like to announce the initial release of a fully-open Linux driver for it's latest generation of 11n chipsets. The driver, while still a work in progress, is released as full source and uses the native mac80211 stack. It supports multiple current chips (BCM4313, BCM43224, BCM43225) as well as providing a framework for supporting additional chips in the future, including mac80211-aware embedded chips....

The driver is currently available in staging-next git tree....
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/...
caitlyn

Sep 10, 2010
2:04 AM EDT
I notice the 4312 is not included. Pity.

Still... Broadcom going open source is a very good thing. Now if they do the same for the lba drivers for SAN connectivity I will have something to celebrate :)
tmx

Sep 10, 2010
2:07 AM EDT
I was complaining about the no authentication when was testing it. To re-enable it, edit the file: /etc/apt/apt.conf

Just change the value from 1 to 0.
JaseP

Sep 10, 2010
8:44 AM EDT
I am really impressed with it being a rolling distribution... I am going to need to try it... A couple of questions for anyone who already has...

Does it maintain binary compatibility with Ubuntu, enough so that things like Hulu or Skype can still be installed (and still run well)???

&

What about MythTV packages,... are they in the repositories for it???

I don't want to break the functionality of my multimedia network.

Thanks,...
Jeff91

Sep 10, 2010
2:35 PM EDT
@JaseP It does NOT retain binary compatibility with Ubuntu. It is binary compatible with packages compiled for Debian. Thusly, it is based off of Debian, not Ubuntu ;)

~Jeff
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 10, 2010
6:41 PM EDT
I wonder how both Debian Testing and Mint Debian will work for users as rolling releases. For instance, how often do you have to dist-upgrade as opposed to regular ol' upgrade? And will the Mint spin take care of that?
hkwint

Sep 10, 2010
7:03 PM EDT
Mint is about the only distribution I really enjoyed (together with Sabayon) in the last 5 years I think. It just worked out of the box, while most of the other ~10 distributions I tried all proved problematic at some point.

@Jeff91:

Binary compatible with Debian? How would such a thing be possible for a rolling release? Or is it me being ignorant?

I mean, if some binary works for Debian Stable, does it also work for Debian testing?

To be honest, I don't have much experience with binaries, except for OOo and FF. Even without binaries, dependencies in rolling release distributions can be problematic though. Try to compile KDE from source and you'll learn...
azerthoth

Sep 10, 2010
9:59 PM EDT
@steven, with debian testing there is no dist-upgrade it just keeps chugging along. Thats the point of 'rolling'.

@hkwint, as ubuntu consists primarily of debian unstable, with packages renamed/rebranded, as long as you avoid system packages (where ubuntu has played some hijinks) they pretty much are binary compatible.
tqk

Sep 12, 2010
6:12 PM EDT
Quoting:@azerthoth: ... saying that it's Ubuntu plus codecs is not all that far off the mark.
Speaking as a DebianNazi, I consider it Debian done right, sans the Ubuntu "dumbing down." Not that Debian's not done it right, of course, and there's lots I like about what Ubuntu has done. Not all.

I too am rolling out a laptop for my Mom running Mint, and it looks pretty damned promising. I've wanted to try this for years. A kitchen workstation/multimedia wifi enabled entertainment centre that my Mom can drag anywhere in the house, and about which I'll not need to worry.

Best part is, step-dad found this thing in a bag in the alley. :-)
ComputerBob

Sep 13, 2010
10:16 AM EDT
Quoting:Best part is, step-dad found this thing in a bag in the alley. :-)
A long, long time ago, people used to say "It fell off a truck."
tracyanne

Sep 13, 2010
7:39 PM EDT
Only you can't use a computer that fell off a truck.
caitlyn

Sep 13, 2010
7:48 PM EDT
Quoting:A long, long time ago, people used to say "It fell off a truck."

That meant stolen. I've heard plenty of stories about people recycling computers that were literally thrown away. I think (or at least hope) that is what tqk means.
azerthoth

Sep 13, 2010
10:18 PM EDT
tqk I cant tell if you agree, disagree, or just had a blather that boiled over ...
caitlyn

Sep 13, 2010
11:16 PM EDT
I'm also, as always, dismayed by the casual use of the term "Nazi". Somehow I don't think tmq has any involvement with genocide or warfare... Cheapening the term that way is not a good thing.
tracyanne

Sep 14, 2010
1:45 AM EDT
Quoting:Speaking as a DebianNazi, I consider it Debian done right, sans the Ubuntu "dumbing down." Not that Debian's not done it right, of course, and there's lots I like about what Ubuntu has done. Not all.

Gee for a Debian Nazi, you're sure prepared to give other distros an awful lot of leeway.
ComputerBob

Sep 14, 2010
9:14 AM EDT
Quoting:I'm also, as always, dismayed by the casual use of the term "Nazi". Somehow I don't think tmq has any involvement with genocide or warfare... Cheapening the term that way is not a good thing.
+1
helios

Sep 14, 2010
10:07 AM EDT
Only you can't use a computer that fell off a truck.

Yes you can, if it fell really soft. There are people who are really good at making them fall really soft.

Or so I hear...

h
caitlyn

Sep 14, 2010
1:57 PM EDT
Actually, some of the really hardened systems that some government agencies or departments use probably would work fine after they fell off a truck, depending on how fast the truck was moving.

@helios: I started my career working for a company in the freight transportation industry near Kennedy Airport in New York City. I think I can assure you that many things that fell off trucks did so very softly indeed.
helios

Sep 14, 2010
10:55 PM EDT
LOI...I drove a truck for a number of years and I can not recount the number of people who approached me as waited to be unloaded, with big screen TV's, computers...even had a guy offer me a full living room suite.

Oh, and charge me with the TOS...I started it.

Sorry...
jacog

Sep 15, 2010
5:22 AM EDT
Southbound... Southbound... got ya ears on? Be advised 'bout a pair o' county mounties comin' up on your side, past the fifty-four yard stick ...

:) Hitch-hiked around the US in 1996 - I know all about truckin' :P
Bob_Robertson

Sep 15, 2010
9:12 AM EDT
> I've heard plenty of stories about people recycling computers that were literally thrown away.

My server was trash-picked. Works just fine, but as a 1GHz I have given up using it as a video media server. Works great for everything else.

> Somehow I don't think tmq has any involvement with genocide or warfare... Cheapening the term that way is not a good thing.

John Stewart had something wonderful to say on that point:

http://www.politics.com/video/74f454583d76/daily-show-jon-st...
caitlyn

Sep 15, 2010
12:08 PM EDT
@Bob_Robertson: I get a 404 error when I click on that link.
tqk

Sep 15, 2010
4:44 PM EDT
@cailyn:

Quoting:I've heard plenty of stories about people recycling computers that were literally thrown away. I think (or at least hope) that is what tqk means.
That is what I meant. It was found in a decrepit computer bag in an alley. It may previously have been stolen and abandoned, or its owner just couldn't deal with the failing hd.

BTW, sorry for trivializing the name of one of the most criminally murderous organizations in history. Not intended. Debianista then?
tqk

Sep 15, 2010
4:47 PM EDT
@azerthoth:
Quoting:tqk I cant tell if you agree, disagree, or just had a blather that boiled over
I've used all of them in my work successfully, so I really can't see any reason to be cheering for one over the other. For my own systems, I like the Debian and its downstreams.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 15, 2010
4:54 PM EDT
Caitlyn,

Sadly, it's not on YouTube either. Shucks, it was an excellent commentary by Stewart, right on the money. Beautifully said.

Found it:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-june-16-2005/a-relativ...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!