Brock certainly didn't try KMail 4.5

Story: Why is Linux Email Stuck in the 90s?Total Replies: 0
Author Content
hkwint

Sep 14, 2010
6:19 PM EDT
"Do something even if it's wrong?"

Then try KMail 4.5. There are reports it eats mails, however, it's the first thing which uses Akonadi (MySQL backend) and Nepomuk (Virtuoso backend). "Unified" storage system, which also could be used by Gnome programs, or others. Partially funded by the EU (Nepomuk) because it's simply one of the most innovative desktop technologies out there! Even if - at this moment it doesn't work, is a resource-hog which can't be turned into 'a useful tool' yet (only inputs data into the DB, extracting data seems not yet possible). Makes use of a framework which enable "writing a new MTA in 10 minutes".

Now, NO other mail program out there (at least not that I'm aware of) is trying to make the semantic web reality, while Kontact does. Or maybe I'm ignorant about MTA's which support RDF, such could be possible.

As most of the stuff in KMail is experimental / prototypes up to the point where running it without tons of errors is almost impossible for the "intermediate Linux user" (I'm talking people who're familiar with the CLI and finding solutions to most common problems on the net) to run it, lots of people think it's "wrong". In fact, it's so innovative lots of people don't want to work with it because it's too "untested" / unstable, and I can't blame them.

If I were a KDE PIM developer, I'd surely be pissed at this uninformed viewpoint Mr. Bronkmeier is spouting here. Thank God the new OpenSuse community manager has more connection to what's happening at KDE, it seems.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!