Very good Idea...

Story: Mandriva's Forked Into A New Project Called MageiaTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
JaseP

Sep 20, 2010
9:07 AM EDT
It's a very good idea to fork Mandriva. I used Mandrake years ago, before I had broadband,... and thought very highly of it at that time. Then it plunged into "jumped the shark" phase, but bounced back again. By that time I was using Ubuntu, but still cheked out Mandriva from time to time.

The company has always had real financial troubles... and made a ton of bad decisions. Forking a community distribution will yield a strong RPM-based alternative to Fedora, one not dependant on a miopic company.

The community distro would be free to pursue side projects like interoperation with Meego, etc. A community based distro in France (where a lot of companies, that use open source software in products, tend to be strangely hostile to open source) will be a very good thing. I, for one, having a couple of French made products, am looking forward to it.

tracyanne

Sep 20, 2010
6:15 PM EDT
In the end it was the silly decisions made by Mandriva's management that finally turned me away from Mandriva. Mandriva, or Mandrake was my first love, and I'll always have a soft spot for the Distro, but I changed and Mandriva didn't, or at least didn't change in ways I was happy with. I will have to check out Mageia.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!