I've run into this time & time again...

Story: A Windows App That Works Better in Wine Than WindowsTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
JaseP

Sep 21, 2010
9:32 AM EDT
I used to do a lot more gaming than I do today,... mostly because of my age. I hardly play a game at all now, except with my step-son on our DSi XLs (I got one for each of us, for step-son/step-father bonding purposes, at least that's the story I'm sticking to).

I began to notice the same effect as the author,... that older Windoze titles do not install well on later versions of Windoze, or install but fail to run,... My first experience with this was a game that was actually made by another company & rebranded as an M$ game, called Fury^3 (originally called something else, Terminal Velocity, I think, but with slightly differnt graphics). It was one of the first Direct "Echs," 3D games... By the time Win98 was nearing a ripe old age, the thing wouldn't run on M$ any longer,... but it ran great on WineX/Cedega, and I suppose it would still run great on regular Wine... if I cared to install it, that is.

The same was true of other titles, as well,...
Sander_Marechal

Sep 21, 2010
6:11 PM EDT
The only thing I have problems with are Win95 games. Too old to run on wine. Too new to run on dosbox. I've had a mountain of trouble trying to get "Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat" to run. I had to turn to a Win95 VirtualBox machine unfortunately.
jdixon

Sep 23, 2010
2:44 PM EDT
> Too new to run on dosbox

I thought dosbox supported win95 in real mode? Hmm. A quick Google search indicates that it's at least possible, though who kows if DirectX would work or not.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 23, 2010
5:09 PM EDT
You got Win95 to run on VB? How? That would take a boot-floppy image with the VB CD-Rom driver on it, and I couldn't find one.

Gee, I hope I didn't throw away my Win95 disk after my last attempt to find a way to install it on VB...
Sander_Marechal

Sep 24, 2010
2:59 AM EDT
@jdixon: I couldn't make it work. Also, the game in question uses some very strange hacks related to 256-color mode for it's graphics.

@Bob: I got help.
jdixon

Sep 25, 2010
1:49 AM EDT
> @jdixon: I couldn't make it work.

The links I found indicated it was possible, but extremely difficult. I'd love to see a win9xbox equivalent to dosbox, but that seems unlikely.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!