a great article

Story: Linux in SchoolsTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
tuxchick

Sep 30, 2010
12:11 AM EDT
With one nit-- he says Windows in 2015 will look different than Windows 7. No, just a very little different; but your existing peripherals will not work with it, it will be a hundred times bigger and require a Cray just to boot, and miraculously will offer no additional functionality. It will, however, have complete backwards compatibility for all malware ever written for every version of Windows.

Other than that-- awesome piece :D
caitlyn

Sep 30, 2010
12:34 AM EDT
LOL. Carla, you do have a way with words.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 30, 2010
12:49 AM EDT
Quoting:..and require a Cray just to boot

I love it! lol!
caitlyn

Sep 30, 2010
12:51 AM EDT
I bet it won't work on an older, legacy Cray.
jdixon

Sep 30, 2010
8:54 AM EDT
> It will, however, have complete backwards compatibility for all malware ever written for every version of Windows.

Probably not. Windows 7 only had 80% compatibility, as I recall. But with all the newer, shinier, better, malware continually being offered for Windows, I doubt any Windows user cares if it runs the old stuff or not.
beirwin

Sep 30, 2010
11:52 AM EDT
It's such a treat to read an article full of positive news about successful Linux deployments. Also, I'm very heartened to read that there are school districts in my home province of British Columbia switching to Linux. Haven't heard a peep from the mainstream press -- not surprising tho'. Time to start bugging my school district.
hkwint

Oct 01, 2010
6:54 AM EDT
Ah, so now we know why they insisted on making a Windows versions for supercomputers; Windows HPC was just a way to test Windows 8!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!