Author Content
JaseP

Sep 30, 2010
11:42 PM EDT
Awesome interview... simply awesome...
HoTMetaL

Oct 01, 2010
2:03 AM EDT
Yup, I enjoyed most of the dialog with Whitehurst, too. Even the classic BSoD jab at Microsoft. Thanks, red5, for sharing it. Jim Cramer, on the other hand, is completely annoying. Seriously, how does anyone sit through hour-long episodes of his coked-up lunacy? Ah, yes. Alcohol.
bigg

Oct 01, 2010
7:11 AM EDT
> Seriously, how does anyone sit through hour-long episodes of his coked-up lunacy?

His ratings are like 500 viewers total. You could find 500 people willing to watch a show about paint drying.
HoTMetaL

Oct 01, 2010
7:18 AM EDT
Okay, bigg. Let's test that theory. I'll be the first LXer to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1VEY7ndKCs

Hey! This IS better than Mad Money!
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 01, 2010
1:26 PM EDT
Sometimes Cramer impresses me..sometimes.
gus3

Oct 01, 2010
2:27 PM EDT
But what kind of impression does he leave?

Even a dead cat will bounce, when it's dropped from sufficient height.
hkwint

Oct 01, 2010
8:40 PM EDT
Good news is, he's not preaching to the choir, I suggest.

He could have told the LXer audience is a good investment because it "eats profit margins of large companies". But our perception of RedHat or investing in software companies wouldn't change.

It's the first time I see Mr. Cramer, but I'm pretty sure his audience is not very tech-savvy. He's a bit 'bouncy' like Mr. Ballmer maybe, but apart from that I kinda liked the 'show'. Now if only investors would take him serious...
jdixon

Oct 02, 2010
3:46 PM EDT
> Sometimes Cramer impresses me..

Well, since he's targetting investors, it would have been a lot more impressive if he had interviewed Whitehurst when Red Hat was at $8.56 a share (Nov. 21, 2008) rather than > $40 like it is now. Or even back in July 2009, when It was still under $20. It was still under $30 as recently as July of this year. But no, Cramer has to wait till a stock is overvalued to tout it. :(
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 02, 2010
8:21 PM EDT
He impressed me by not spouting the same old drivel that we have all heard before. He may have waited till it was no longer as much of a value as it was at $20 a share but at least he didn't spend the whole interview being a mouthpiece for Microsoft like almost all who have come before him. At least he actually had a few real facts as to why they are a good buy, which even at $40 a share they still are.
hkwint

Oct 03, 2010
8:31 PM EDT
jdixon: Good argument! Spotting companies like these is a bit hard, I think, because (especially bio-pharma) shares are pretty "volatile"; and probably deemed risky. If you're not careful, you might buy into 'vapourware'. I think it takes some familiarity with the "open source" / "free software" philosophies before you can be sure "Red Hat" isn't vapourware and an "empty barrel of promises".
jdixon

Oct 03, 2010
8:46 PM EDT
> At least he actually had a few real facts as to why they are a good buy, which even at $40 a share they still are.

Long term (as in > 5 years) yes, they are. In the short term however, you are quite likely to lose money.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!