A recent conver to Linux says this of Linux Mint

Story: Linux Mint: the tastier UbuntuTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
tracyanne

Oct 02, 2010
7:06 PM EDT
Quoting:I'm really pleased with it. Everything (including the wireless card, wireless keyboard and mouse) "just worked" and the download/package managers are great. I still need Windows for some stuff but when I'm using Isadora, it just flies. It truly is "MINT". http://freethinkerspub.yuku.com/topic/8423?page=3

There's a social site Freethinkers Pub, where I spend a lot of time chatting, and promoting Linux, I've had a few wins lately.
caitlyn

Oct 02, 2010
7:10 PM EDT
Good job on the advocacy and the results. It's always nice to read something like this.
tracyanne

Oct 02, 2010
9:46 PM EDT
Thanks caitlyn, believe or not, that means a lot to me. I've been doing this for a lot of years, and long time before I joined LXer.

The biggest problem I have is getting people to understand how to install software. Their reflex action is to do it the Windows way, they've been trained to do that over many years. But as often as not they download and install, only to find the software they downloaded doesn't work properly with their distribution, then they complain that Linux doesn't work. The other one is media CODECs, I don't know how many times I repeat myself on this one, but sooner or later someone complains their media doesn't work, and I have to go over the whole thing again.
tmx

Oct 03, 2010
2:36 AM EDT
That's probably too much work for me by now. The only time I install linux for people is when they never used computer before or have low experience, at this point they have no "Microsoft expectation" yet. I actually get less complaints this way. I install linux to someone's laptop with broken Windows who knows nothing about computer, he loves Ubuntu and with my advice eventually went on to get the Nokia N900 because it runs linux.

When I have to fix Windows for people, I get more complaints. Craps like; they can't burn their songs to MP3 CD using iTunes because they're in AAC format and Apple do not allow to transcoding to MP3 format. Or they can't access to the contacts of their iPhone that was back up to iTunes to send to another phone, etc. The most I am going to do in this situation is install free softwares to Windows computers. I am sure this individual will be very unhappy if he/she was force to use linux all the sudden despite problems with Windows.

I would just give them a little motivation like put in free softwares or set up a dual boot, but NOT wipe out Windows and put linux in only. The latter choice puts them in an unknown land and it leads to frustration. It's up the user to decide, if they are young and curious, they can continue discovering for themselves. Computer has become too much of a personal thing.

In your case, it might not worth your time and effort to provide all that services (unless you get paid). Maybe you can try this, customize your own distro version with the require codecs and flash plugin (you can use UCK for ubuntu and linux mint). I don't think the MPEG Group is going to go after you (of course, technically its not legal to redistribute in USA with some codecs, but really I think its only a problem when you're distributing it online in mass quantity or if you have an ethical problem with that (heck Linux Mint come with proprietary stuff)). Or you can create an install script that ask for permission first. But this way, you can just install the distro and not spend extra times setting up things. I do think you have to be pragmatic if you want to convert people to linux, which means I also feel converting Windoze fanboys online is a waste of time. Write an article or lead them to the distro website, but no one have time to argue with them about linux vs crapdows in chatrooms or forums.

Linux is a big advantage to older people too I think. Besides less chance it will screw up on them, with most linux desktop interfaces you can resize the font to a huge size, its instant, doesn't require reboot and doesn't mess up the software like in Windows. If you try raising the DPI in Windows, it will mess up the look of the softwares and hide its functions. My dad sights are fading, font size is becoming a real problem, problem is he's always been using Windows and I don't want to make it harder for him. I might just put in Ubuntu with the Windows theme ([url=http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Win2-7 Pack?content=113264]http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Win2-7 Pack?content=1...[/url]) and see what happen.
bigg

Oct 03, 2010
5:01 AM EDT
I installed Mint for my mother last year. Events prevented me from showing her how to use it. She figured it out by herself. She has had zero problems, and for her the big thing is the responsiveness relative to Windows. She's a teacher and at school she uses Macs. It's tough for her to use Windows because she gets so frustrated with all the waiting that she doesn't have with Mac.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!