Probably a correct analysis

Story: Legal terrorism Microsoft styleTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
phsolide

Oct 03, 2010
1:12 PM EDT
I think this is probably a correct analysis: $10s of billions CASH RESERVE gives MSFT a lot of wiggle room when it comes to legal spending.

On the other hand, it's the type of analysis that most people blow off, for two reasons: 1. It's phrased in a postmodern way. This makes most people's eyes glaze over. 2. It verges on Conspiracy Theory. No other corporation could get it together to do this sort of thing (especially not the one I work for) so how could MSFT possibly do it?

On the gripping hand, we have seen a lot of evidence of MSFT wanting to be the Toll Keeper on the Information SuperHighway. The "tilt bit" in Windows Vista (and Windows 7?) device drivers, the increasing emphasis on DRM-ability of everything, etc etc.

So, I'm coming down on the side of "This is at least part of what MSFT wants to do in its Grand Stratigery".
dyfet

Oct 03, 2010
5:36 PM EDT
This I think is a fair critique of the style of the article, as my own experience is not primarily formed in communicating with the general public in this way.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!