Surprised, and not surprised at the same time...

Story: IBM backs Oracle against Apache and Google's AndroidTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
JaseP

Oct 12, 2010
9:34 AM EDT
I am surprised and not surprised by this move by IBM all at the same time,...

I am surprised in that it backs away from what has largely appeared to be an IBM position in favor of open source (due to Oracle's messed up position on it). IBM has appeared to support open source, in part, because fits their earlier models of what software should be,... (largely) given away so that you can sell harware and services, instead.

Yet, I am not surprised that they are standing behind what can be considered a corporate partner (Oracle, for their marketshare of the database space) & now look to be following the money, as well as jumping on the bandwagon against Google...

It seems like a muted & pre-emptive strike by them,... It's like they are worried that Google might eventually decide to eat THEIR lunch, in the corporate infrastucture space, instead of focusing on consumer end products and advertising revenue. I just hope that they don't get more wishy-washy about open source in general. IBM has a patent portfolio and a warchest that could make M$ quake in their boots if they ever got into a knock-down drag-out with each other, instead of fighting a cold war with proxies.

I really want to know what Intel's position is going to be with all this... Given they are now behind Meego (and Nokia's main Meego guy has flown the coop), and seem to be a lover of back-room deals, I am guessing they will be positioned against Google too...

There have been a lot of high profile intellectual property lawsuits of late. I am just getting the overall impression that "The Patent Wars" are starting up in a big way.
KernelShepard

Oct 12, 2010
10:33 AM EDT
Speaking of patent wars...

It's possible that IBM switched away from Harmony out of fear of being sued next. Rob Weir's blog posting hinted that Harmony was not certified (since Oracle has been refusing to provide them with the tests) as Java compatible which would suggest that Harmony is not covered by the Java patent promises, hence possibly opening them up for attacks just like Google's Dalvik. I'm not sure that Oracle would go after Harmony itself, but they might have gone after IBM.

Of course, there are also plenty of other possibilities ;-)
bigg

Oct 12, 2010
12:07 PM EDT
> I am not surprised that they are standing behind what can be considered a corporate partner

IBM and Oracle supporting each other?
caitlyn

Oct 12, 2010
4:22 PM EDT
Quoting:I am just getting the overall impression that "The Patent Wars" are starting up in a big way.

...leading to a future where all restaurants are Taco Bell, or something like that.

Seriously, I do think you have a point about patent wars. I think Microsoft's suit against Motorola is testing the waters for what could be a string of such suits designed to derail their main competitors: Linux (including Android) and Apple.
jezuch

Oct 13, 2010
6:24 AM EDT
Quoting:When Sun was trying to do this, the Oracle/IBM version of a solution effectively amounted to Sun taking a vow of poverty.

http://nighthacks.com/roller/jag/entry/peace_breaks_out

Looks to me like a borg feast.
caitlyn

Oct 13, 2010
8:02 AM EDT
In honor of the "Surprised, and not surprised..." title I am listening to "At Home - Not At Home" by Wim Mertens. It seems to fit.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!