Obviously running Windows

Story: Web browser speed test: Chrome, Firefox, IE9, Opera and Safari head-to-headTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
caitlyn

Oct 17, 2010
4:55 PM EDT
These tests were done under Windows. I would love to see similar tests plus real benchmarking under Linux with Konqueror and Midori replacing Safari. I'd also love to see how Seamonkey, Kazehakase and Arora fare in tests.
tracyanne

Oct 17, 2010
5:24 PM EDT
Ah but then you wouldn't be able to include IE9.
caitlyn

Oct 17, 2010
6:01 PM EDT
How does adding more tests exclude one run under Windows?
phsolide

Oct 17, 2010
6:13 PM EDT
I agree with caitlyn: the more browsers in the tests, the better. Also, the fact that IE 9 *doesn't* run under Windows or OSX, welp, that's a real strike against, isn't it? I mean, that's what the Windows-lovin' "Vice President in Charge of Branding" would say about any browser that didn't run on Windows, eh? Turnabout's fair play.
montezuma

Oct 17, 2010
9:14 PM EDT
One of the comments on the site was on the money if obnoxious. They should have tested Firefox 4 beta. It is definitely faster.
tracyanne

Oct 17, 2010
9:19 PM EDT
I got the impression that the tests were about comparing IE9 beta, with "the latest version" of everything else. IE9 probably wouldn't run very well on Linux.
caitlyn

Oct 18, 2010
5:26 PM EDT
Then why have this article on LXer.com at all? Do we need a comparison of Windows browsers in a Windows-only environment?

My point, which you seem to have missed, is that Windows, the OS, slows down the browsers.
hkwint

Oct 18, 2010
5:59 PM EDT
OK Caitlyn, possibly Windows slows them down. I have been willing to do some research on this before, but I have to see if my Windows 7 'development version' key works, never tested it.

However, I think LXer is not only about Linux (even though the subtitle says so), but also about open source software. Something which Firefox is.

On a scale from 1 to 10 on how well an article is suiting LXer, I'd say this article is a 4 or so, while an article about all those browsers on Linux (except IE of course) would score at least 9.

Maybe you're willing to cooperate (in any way) on a more 'complete' Linux benchmark like this? I think results should be interesting.

A while ago, I have benchmarked several Javascript engines on Linux, FF3.6, FF4.0, Opera 10.62, Konqueror (failed on some benchmarks) and Chrome. I planned to post results, even made some fancy OOo graphs, but didn't, as JaegerMonkey was not available for FF4.0 back then.

See: http://lxer.com/pub/files/hkwint/Linux_JS_Benchmarks_01.gif

JaegerMonkey embedded in FF is available now (though a 'moving target', as per arewefastyet.com), so maybe we could repeat those lab-test and intermingle some real-life testsJ? Maybe involve Wine as well?

If people have some feedback on how to set up such a test, pitching a popular Linux distro (guess Ubuntu 10.04?) against Win7, I'd be happy to execute those benchmarks. And hopefully post some interesting results on LXer.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!