Yeah, the Wallstreet 'gang' smells money in linux...

Story: London Stock Exchange smashes world record trade speed with LinuxTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
henke54

Oct 20, 2010
5:16 PM EDT
Just google the words HFT(High Frequency Trading) or sub pennying, and you discover the (maybe) next future 'disaster' on the economy .... : http://www.defendtrading.com/flashtrading.html http://blog.themistrading.com/?p=778
caitlyn

Oct 21, 2010
12:41 AM EDT
What does your comment have to do with Linux? What do the links have to do with Linux? Is this a political comment or ?????
henke54

Oct 21, 2010
3:46 AM EDT
>What does your comment have to do with Linux? What do the links have to do with Linux? nothing at all ... just 'observation' ... ;-)
caitlyn

Oct 21, 2010
10:31 AM EDT
A political observation that violates the TOS of this website.
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 21, 2010
11:27 AM EDT
I looked at both links and yes it may be a little off topic but unless I missed something, I did not see either as overtly political Caitlyn. Talking about SEC rules and practices doesn't seem to be over the top for me..unless of course I missed something.

Scott
caitlyn

Oct 21, 2010
12:05 PM EDT
It is political opinion and henke54 draws a conclusion about the consequences of current practices. I'm not saying this is egregious. I am saying it is WAY off topic for LXer.com and I don't see the point.
jdixon

Oct 21, 2010
2:10 PM EDT
> A political observation that violates the TOS of this website. Caitlyn, it's no more (or less) political than your happy new year post was religious. Off topic, perhaps, but not political.
penguinist

Oct 21, 2010
3:50 PM EDT
Let's back up a bit. High Frequency Trading has _everything_ to do with Linux. HFT is all about latencies and high performance specialized computing. Trades that execute in milliseconds will go to the trader with the lowest latencies and finest tuned system. Linux excels in these areas. Those traders who have Linux mastery will be the big winners. Expect to see more in the future about the role of Linux in the HFT space. imho

Thanks to henke54 for giving us a head-up.
gus3

Oct 21, 2010
7:06 PM EDT
Penguinist, it sounds like you have the seeds of an article explaining this. Maybe not something for LXer to host, but someone else might.
hkwint

Oct 21, 2010
7:11 PM EDT
Read Caitlyn, read!

Read about Linux and LSE, how the it was Linux which enables them to be faster than other exchanges. How it is Linux which enables them to get 'numbers' to their users quicker. And I bet the ones in HFT are using Linux as well, though it's only speculation.

Clearly, Linux and HFT are related to each other. Optimizing the Linux kernel to be a few millisec quicker than the competition will be one of the causes of gaining or loosing large amounts of money.
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 21, 2010
7:16 PM EDT
If it is FOSS related and not overtly Political I would be glad to host it penguinist..

henke54

Oct 21, 2010
9:09 PM EDT
If you google on the words : High-frequency trading linux job , you see there is lots of demand for it .... ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!