This isn't moving away from GNOME

Story: Ubuntu moves away from GNOMETotal Replies: 11
Author Content
caitlyn

Oct 25, 2010
12:58 PM EDT
GNOME 1.x and 2.x always supported alternative window managers and 3.x supports an alternative shell. That isn't "moving away from GNOME". It is using GNOME is a non-standard configuration is all.

Whether the Ubuntu user community, particularly the newcomers who Ubuntu caters to, like it or not is another entirely open question. I do expect that seasoned Linux users will generally hate it as they seem to hate most netbook interfaces. I also don't see the sense in bringing the netbook interface to a desktop but that's just me. I'm clearly not Ubuntu's target audience.
azerthoth

Oct 25, 2010
1:18 PM EDT
Nope, caitlyn your not the target, your not Dorothy's Scarecrow.
gus3

Oct 25, 2010
2:33 PM EDT
Or the Cowardly Lion.
tuxchick

Oct 25, 2010
2:39 PM EDT
So is Mark Shuttleworth the Great and Terrible Wizard of Oz?
gus3

Oct 25, 2010
2:44 PM EDT
Yup, just a guy using smoke and mirrors to project a much larger image of himself.
azerthoth

Oct 25, 2010
2:45 PM EDT
nah, Flying Monkey maybe.

*tandem post, gus snuck in on me. very nice*
herzeleid

Oct 25, 2010
3:23 PM EDT
Quoting:Yup, just a guy using smoke and mirrors to project a much larger image of himself.
Yeah right - a billionaire promoting himself as a debian developer and leader of a debian spinoff. Are you serious?
gus3

Oct 25, 2010
5:39 PM EDT
Quoting:Yeah right - a billionaire promoting himself as a debian developer and leader of a debian spinoff. Are you serious?
One can be a billionaire, and still be in over his head. Likewise, one can be a good project leader, and make very little money from it. Neither one implies the other.

In Mark Shuttleworth's case, I posit that his self-promotion, made possible by his cash reserves, and his accompanying promotion of "Ubuntu" (not Linux), does more harm than good to the Linux, GNU/Linux, and Debian brands and Free Software in general. By playing down Ubuntu's basis in Debian Sid, the rickety underpinnings are hidden away; when the frame breaks, it's a black eye on all of FOSS to the naive user.
caitlyn

Oct 25, 2010
7:06 PM EDT
@gus3: Well said. I agree with you but pardon me if I hide when the folks with the tar and the pitchforks and the torches come for you.

Seriously, I think the one thing Ubuntu does well is sell itself to OEMs so that preloaded systems get out there. Of course, right now, Google is doing that with Android as well. Heck, you can even by a few netbooks with Android at K-Mart right now.
hkwint

Oct 25, 2010
7:31 PM EDT
Some sensible comment I read somewhere:

If you're tech savvy, you're probably not Unity's target audience. Then, you should be able to configure Ubuntu to use Gnome yourself.

However, if you're not able to configure Ubuntu to use Gnome instead, then probably Unity is for you.

Have to confess, almost makes sense.
azerthoth

Oct 25, 2010
7:33 PM EDT
A very Jobsian way of looking at it I suppose.
gus3

Oct 25, 2010
8:54 PM EDT
Quoting:pardon me if I hide when the folks with the tar and the pitchforks and the torches come for you.
I've gone up against far better minds than any of the Ubuntu fanbois have.

And I have the scars to prove it, too.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!