Firefox bloat is annoying

Story: Firefox's Android playTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
patrokov

Oct 26, 2010
9:34 PM EDT
I remember how happy I was the first time I downloaded Firefox, and it was less then 5 MB. Those happy days, it seems, will never return.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 27, 2010
1:35 AM EDT
Now that I have a dual-core Athlon at 2.1 GHz, I don't even notice that Firefox is slower than any other browser. I stopped using all the other browsers I used to tap to get the most out of a Celeron at 1.2 GHz.
helios

Oct 27, 2010
10:19 AM EDT
Annoying bug in the latest stable release though...

When watching hulu and choosing to go to full screen, the audio continues but the video hangs a the point where you click the full screen icon. It stays at the default screen size and freezes. Google search shows this is a well-known annoyance but remains unfixed.

Is it due to "bloat"? don't know.

But the word "bloat" has always irritated me anyway. What one person considers "bloat" another person considers added features and usability. Physics disallows the size of the mass remaining the same while adding to it.

h
azerthoth

Oct 27, 2010
10:41 AM EDT
never seen that bug h
gus3

Oct 27, 2010
10:52 AM EDT
@helios:

Try it on a netbook. You'll have no desire to go full-screen, since the maximized window size is just slightly larger than the player size anyway.

Problem fixed! ;-)
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 27, 2010
1:31 PM EDT
I think the bugs that have to do with Hulu are more Hulu's problem than Firefox's. I've found many of the Flash-delivered video services from the major U.S. networks to be very buggy. Hulu's actually better than most. And this is not just in Linux but also OS X (albeit PowerPC, not Intel).

HTML 5-delivered video can't come fast enough. I just started using Minitube, and I think it's right up there with sliced sourdough. (I mean that in a good way.)
helios

Oct 28, 2010
9:20 AM EDT
Try it on a netbook

I can see where that would work...unfortunately Diane and I like to watch Hulu at night before going to bed. My little eee PC 901 might be a tad difficult to see, considering we are used to watching via a 24 inch Samsung. ;-). Point taken though...

This might very well be a hulu/flash thing, however when it exhibits this behavior, I switch over to Chrome and all is well.

For this particular annoyance anyway.
gus3

Oct 28, 2010
11:49 AM EDT
My previous comment was only partly humorous. I have only one TV show I watch regularly, and I watch it through Hulu. So once a week, I pack up the netbook and headphones, and schlep over to the library, where I get the bandwidth and some good conversation with their I.T. guy. And my Eee 901 is just barely strong enough to play it. ;-)
azerthoth

Oct 28, 2010
1:49 PM EDT
@h I switched over to huludesktop on the desktop in my bedroom for that same reason, the nice thing about that is, I can shut it down in the middle of a show and when I start it up again it picks up right where I left off.
tracyanne

Oct 28, 2010
6:25 PM EDT
Quoting:I think it's right up there with sliced sourdough. (I mean that in a good way.)

I didn't think you meant anything else.
herzeleid

Oct 28, 2010
6:42 PM EDT
FWIW, FF-4.0 is much snappier than FF-3.x and earlier. It starts up about as fast as chrome now - and FF-4.0 is actually much faster than chrome when going through the fight list in Mafia Wars on Facebook.
caitlyn

Oct 30, 2010
11:08 AM EDT
For Hulu and CBS.com and others that deliver Flash on the desktop I've found that they work much better in Seamonkey or Midori: no hangs or freeze-ups. It's easy to dismiss these sites as buggy but in my experience most of the bugs go away when I don't run Firefox.
hkwint

Oct 30, 2010
10:16 PM EDT
Recently - because Caitlyn seems to be fan of it - I tried Midori, and was pretty impressed. Until it segfaulted (once) maybe a Gentoo thing or something, I'm not sure. But it seems to handle load pretty well.

Flash on this desktop still is a nightmare, even when running 10.6 and recompiling most base-packages. It still leaks memory it seems, and makes any browser which runs it stuck from time to time. For some reason it seems I'm the only one experiencing this problem, but I still hope it will go away in some future release of some browser or Flash.
caitlyn

Oct 30, 2010
11:37 PM EDT
I'm running the latest beta or Flash-Square on my 64-bit desktop and it runs brilliantly. The CPU resources don't get maxxed out. It just works.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!