Oracle's chickens are circling......

Story: Oracle Files Motion to Strike Google's Answer, Some Counterclaims Total Replies: 4
Author Content
Ridcully

Oct 27, 2010
6:30 PM EDT
I have already said in discussions about OOo and the Document Foundation how much concern I have over Oracle's ownership and future management/stewardship of FOSS projects including OOo and Java. PJ is now putting precisely those concerns in print. Personally, I think that if Oracle continues to accelerate down the path it is now taking, it risks alienating the entire FOSS community and that would be a shame given Oracle's apparent desire to use Linux as part of its offerings.

It's past high time for Oracle to take a deep breath, step back, and think ~ in particular about the legal advice they are receiving, and given PJ's analysis in the article, that is something for very considerable worry. Oracle's actions have already lead (for whatever reason) to a forking of OOo; it now looks very much like Oracle is proceeding to apply a perceptual taint to Java and that could lead to the dropping of Java by the developers. Ultimately this cannot be good for Oracle ~ you do NOT bite the FOSS community hand that is contributing to your welfare.
herzeleid

Oct 27, 2010
11:40 PM EDT
Circling the drain? circling the wagons? circling like vultures?
gus3

Oct 28, 2010
1:23 AM EDT
@herzeleid, I'm not sure how to congratulate you for that excellent retort, but it is very worthy of any +1 from LXer.com. Consider yourself modded up.
tracyanne

Oct 28, 2010
2:27 AM EDT
and may they all turn into emus and kick their f f fu foolish heads in.
Ridcully

Oct 28, 2010
8:07 AM EDT
".....and coming home to roost !"........It's an old expression herzeleid, meaning you are about to reap what you have sown. But I do like circling like vultures........they don't roost, they tear into the carrion carcase. Perhaps we could get tracyanne's chickens circling the lawyers as well ?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!