Anyone used the Augen GenTouch?

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
bigg

Nov 03, 2010
8:06 AM EDT
They've got them at Kmart right now for $150, but I'd really be interested if anyone has used it. Most of the reviews I've come across are uninformative. They basically say it's not an iPad. I already knew that because as I said it's only $150. There isn't a lot of information about things like calendar apps and other basic applications.

The Archos 32 looks nice as well, but the screen is so small, I don't know if I could get used to it. A plus is that it can play OGG files.
tracyanne

Nov 03, 2010
9:14 AM EDT
you might have to be our tester.
hkwint

Nov 03, 2010
2:42 PM EDT
Quoting:Most of the reviews I've come across are uninformative.

Here you go:

http://armdevices.net/2010/08/01/i-filmed-the-augen-99-smart...

If the 32 is too small, go for the 43.

Here's a comparison vid: http://armdevices.net/2010/09/27/my-unboxing-of-archos-43-an...

Moreover, armdevices.net is full of Archos reviews (enter Archos in the search bar and of you go) as Nicholas (a.k.a. Charbax) also hosts archosfans.com.

Please note the 8th-gen media-players by Archos are about the only players available with a 45nm (Cortex-A8) chip in them, so they're "high-end", while the Augen is pretty low-end.
bigg

Nov 03, 2010
7:41 PM EDT
Thanks Hans.

After looking at Android 2.1 vs 2.2, and the Google Apps store, and the fact that most Android devices are not authorized to access the Google's app store, I think a portable media player and small spiral-bound notebook provide a better solution. What a mess! Or maybe increase my budget a little bit and get an iPod Touch, however much I dislike Apple and paying more money, I don't have time for this chaos.
hkwint

Nov 04, 2010
5:28 AM EDT
You might consider a Philips GoGear. It's developed as a 'replacement' for iPod's - comes with lots of free software on it, lacks the usual Apple-restrictions, and plays ogg's as well.

May require some reading though, there seems to be some Linux-software for synching and such. If you just want to copy & play using "USB mass storage" without synching and such, Wikipedia recommends the GoGear Vibe.
JaseP

Nov 04, 2010
9:03 AM EDT
I would recommend the MIDnite Android web tablet over the GenTouch78. Better specs, better build quality, only about $30-$40 more, Android 2.2 & a better processor.

I'll be ordering myself one, soon. Plus, it's version of 2.2 isn't locked down (they encourage hacking).

Oh,... I'd steer clear of Archos. Those "Frenchies" lock down their devices so that you're forced to pay for upgrade$. They have a rep worse than TiVo or TomTom, & know first hand (I have 2 locked Archos 604WiFis).
bigg

Nov 04, 2010
9:47 AM EDT
Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't heard of MIDnite before.
JaseP

Nov 04, 2010
2:25 PM EDT
My pleasure. I just ordered mine a few minutes ago.

alc

Nov 04, 2010
3:51 PM EDT
"My pleasure. I just ordered mine a few minutes ago."

Maybe after a little time with it,you could give us a bit of a write up about it.It sounds interesting.
hkwint

Nov 04, 2010
8:24 PM EDT
Quoting:Those "Frenchies" lock down their devices so that you're forced to pay for upgrade$

Not anymore, it seems:

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_5it/dualos.html?cou...
questioner

Nov 10, 2010
5:20 AM EDT
Just used an anonymous login, please excuse.

I had this tablet for about 2 weeks. I loathed it so much. Please, for the love of your wallet, do not buy this tablet. It is extremely slow, the responsiveness is not even close to par, and there is no more Android Market (legal issues). Check out the reviews on engadget.com or YouTube.

Peace.
JaseP

Nov 10, 2010
10:06 AM EDT
> Maybe after a little time with it,you could give us a bit of a write up about it.It sounds interesting.

@ alc

No problem,... There already some sporadic reviews coming in though. It seems the device has had several re-branding incarnations. Nice hardware with a few minor drawbacks. It was also called the Wits A81e, & was previously a WinCe device, under yet another name (then underwent a couple hardware mods to make it more Android compatible, apparently).

@ hkwint

The inside story on that is that the were essentially "blackmailed" into that by those who cracked the encryption key (maybe just on previous models, don't know), were ticked off at Archos violating GPL source release requirements (not the whole build chain, yada, yada) & threatened to release the key to the wild unless they changed their tune.

There was no altruism there, on the part of Archos, trust me. Those Archos guys can be real [rhymes with "shmastards"].
hkwint

Nov 10, 2010
7:37 PM EDT
OK, I see.
caitlyn

Nov 12, 2010
1:25 PM EDT
I should have an Augen tablet to review shortly :)

You cannot post until you login.