Ubuntu/Mint on Toshiba notebook

Story: Problem installing/running Ubuntu/Mint on Toshiba notebookTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
carling

Nov 06, 2010
8:41 PM EDT
Last week I installed Mint 10.10 on a AMD Toshiba A215 S5837 with Vista. I had minor problems with the graphics resolution on boot up. I did find that on installing it, It took a while to initialized the hardware, I think now that it was the graphics chip. that caused the problem. when it boots up now the mint splash screen moves over to the right, other than that everything works fine and dandy

I hope he never has to reinstall windows 7. if installing Vista is anything to go by, It took 7 minutes to initialize and format the hard drive, 38 minutes to copying vista files, 19 minutes to recover files, 9 minutes for CRC file, 30 minutes for final configuration. 8 minutes to setup user account, 25 minutes to remove crap ware, Office 2007. Windows Activation, Norton 360, Norton Activation, Quick Books, then 46 minutes to defrag the system. Windows vista still used 17.5 gig of disk space, and actual disk space used was 19.3 gig

After all that I installed Mint 10.10. in under 1 hour

Just a thought. Did the person used the live disk to see if everything worked before he attempted to install it? Like I said I had no problems running Mint 10.10 on this AMD Toshiba A215 S5837 with Vista.dual booting
tracyanne

Nov 07, 2010
12:24 AM EDT
Installing Windows 7 is every bit as onerous as installing any other version of Windows. I done it, I was not amused. The biggest problem, is as always, the fact that after installing Windows, there's nothing of any use there, and that doesn't include the OS, so it takes hours to get the machine to a point where you can do anything useful.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!