Tiring

Story: Why Wayland is good for the future...Total Replies: 3
Author Content
r_a_trip

Nov 08, 2010
6:24 PM EDT
Mid, mid, mid, mid, X is big, mid, mid, mid, mid, Wayland is new, mid, mid, mid,mid, X is old, mid, mid, mid, oh yeah, let's also shoehorn the deskstop into a mid. Mids are hot.

The above is basically what I read in the article and it is what I objected to the first time around. There is no point in turning a desktop into a 50 pound cellphone. No one is going to lug it around to do light internet tasks. Desktops are very capable of doing these tasks, but they can do and are designed to do so much more.

I don't share Mr. Des Ligneris enthusiasm for Canonical's new found zeal to single handedly change an already winning horse. Maybe Canonical will be able to surprise me, but for now I'm starting to fear that we might have an enemy within. It would be a pity if 20 years of progress got fractured by a small company that up till now wasn't much of a threat.
tqk

Nov 08, 2010
6:57 PM EDT
Quoting:It would be a pity if 20 years of progress got fractured by a small company that up till now wasn't much of a threat.
This is just Ubuntu. Do you really expect SuSE, Slackware and Debian to fall lock-step in behind them?

Frankly, though I'm an X afficionado, I don't at all mind seeing worthwhile experiments happen. Good luck to 'em, and maybe something neat *will* come of it. Who knows?
azerthoth

Nov 08, 2010
7:27 PM EDT
There were some good comments following that article too.
JaseP

Nov 09, 2010
7:19 PM EDT
I'd like to see a merger of the two graphic servers. But it's too early to tell if Wayland will go anywhere.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!