OMG no way

Story: I'm running the latest Fedora 13 kernel, 2.6.34.7-61, and I have ATI video and Conexant sound playing nicelyTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
tuxchick

Nov 11, 2010
5:51 PM EDT
Something works for you??? I am happy and amazed!

I just may have to fire up Fedora and play with it. Usually I go back to Debian because it has all known packages in the galaxy and Fedora usually misses something I want. But Fedora is getting a lot of positive attention lately.
herzeleid

Nov 11, 2010
6:14 PM EDT
Yes way dude! It's the beginning of a new era.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 11, 2010
6:29 PM EDT
Even Debian Sid is at 2.6.32. I'm running 2.6.34 in Fedora 13, and that's the minimum, it seems, to make this terrible, terrible Conexant sound chip behave.

I still have Debian in the forefront of my mind, and as soon as I can test it with a newer kernel from Backports, that could be my next OS on this particular laptop.

Things that I really like about Fedora:

While PackageKit is pretty much a disaster, Yum is an excellent package manager. Between Presto, which allows you to download only the portions of the package that have changed, and Yum's general robustness, I don't miss apt or Aptitude at all. Adding the RPM Fusion repositories for multimedia bits couldn't be easier. You can do it via the web browser by clicking on a couple of links.

Instead of having to pull from Backports or use Ubuntu's PPA's, I can get newer versions of many packages built by Fedora for my particular release from the Koji Build System. Once I install the RPMs, Yum cheerfully tracks them. So when it comes to applications, Fedora 13 at this point has pretty much everything you can get in Fedora 14. Or you can hang back and use older versions of the same applications. It's flexible and secure.

In my case, the Fedora Xfce spin is a live CD with many more packages installed by default than in the standard GNOME edition. I don't know how or why this is the case, but I like it. It's probably the best-looking Xfce environment I've used.
bigg

Nov 11, 2010
6:39 PM EDT
Arch is at 2.6.35, with 2.6.36 in testing and soon to be moved to core. So I guess we can see what you should run if you want cutting edge.
herzeleid

Nov 11, 2010
7:02 PM EDT
Ubuntu 10.10 is on 2.6.35, ubuntu 11.04 pre-alpha is running 2.6.37, and should be 2.6.38 at release. All the interactivity fixes are going into 2.6.37 and later. I'm just sayin'....
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 11, 2010
7:06 PM EDT
There will come a time when, for this particular machine, I'll want an older kernel. Once the hardware ages a bit, newer kernels often bring newer problems.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 11, 2010
7:52 PM EDT
I'm running Sid on three machines, with 2.6.35.8 and 2.6.36 running on them, just fine.

Don't bother waiting for Backports if you're using Sid. Just download the vanilla kernel from kernel.org and have at it!

After un-tarring, of course.

$ cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.36/ $ make nconfig

All I did here was set the CPU brand/model.

$ fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version -Bob0.1 --initrd kernel_image

And the .DEB package is placed in /usr/src

But I'm having terrible trouble with Virtualbox under .36, even though it works just fine on .35.7

Who can say why, but it's obvious why it's a good idea to GPL a driver and put it in the mainline kernel tree, so that API changes are propagated automagically.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 11, 2010
11:08 PM EDT
Download and compile my own kernel? I am so not worthy.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 11, 2010
11:15 PM EDT
On the subject of packages, Fedora has many — 11,142 according to http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packages
jezuch

Nov 12, 2010
3:14 AM EDT
Quoting:Download and compile my own kernel? I am so not worthy.

I've been doing it almost since the first time I installed Linux :) Debian makes it really easy, unfortunately I have it scripted and forgot the details ;)

Nevertheless the 2.6.36 package is in experimental. I'm running it at work and it works. [A bit of warning though: I'm observing some btrfs-related instability (where "instability" means reboot-needing BUG() or even a panic. Occurs every couple of days.).]
Bob_Robertson

Nov 12, 2010
8:36 AM EDT
> Debian makes it really easy

Almost like Debian is run by a bunch of software nerds, not marketing dweebs.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 12, 2010
1:39 PM EDT
I finally got comfortable with ext4, though I'm sticking with ext3 for backup drives (I want to make sure that compatibility with FreeBSD and OpenBSD is as high as possible). That means it'll be quite some time until I try anything like btrfs or zfs.
azerthoth

Nov 12, 2010
1:49 PM EDT
heh, getting used to ext4 is as simple as ignoring phoronix loosing all it's video card metrics, or a few other documented cases that have cropped up with similar devastating effects due to ext4.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!