Stop buying !@#$?

Story: Just Stop It, MicrosoftTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
tqk

Nov 13, 2010
12:51 AM EDT
Shouldn't this be, "Stop Buying Microsoft (and other lock you in proprietary !@#$)?"

Caveat emptor.
gus3

Nov 13, 2010
1:02 AM EDT
http://mindplusplus.wordpress.com/2010/07/13/willing-victims...

Caveat laborador/cogitator.
tracyanne

Nov 13, 2010
1:33 AM EDT
He's wrong about one thing, Microsoft doesn't hate piracy, except perhaps in a mature market. In a new market or 3rd world market, where they are unlikely to make many sales anyway. they use piracy as a form of loss leader marketing.
Ridcully

Nov 13, 2010
2:55 AM EDT
Very strongly agreed Tracyanne.........I seem to recall a Bill Gates statement about piracy in China something along the lines of "And as long as they're going to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the next decade."

In addtion there is this rather disgusting bit of "Gatesian ethics" from 2007: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sect...

"It's easier for our software to compete with Linux when there's piracy than when there's not," the Microsoft co-founder and chairman told Fortune magazine.

In Microsoft's repulsive world, piracy is equally a weapon against Linux uptake.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 14, 2010
10:56 AM EDT
One of my favorite software essays ever, "Windows Is Free":

http://autotelic.com/windows_is_free

> piracy (of MS products) is equally a weapon against Linux uptake.

I think the reason it sounds so strange coming from Bill's own mouth, is that it's simply a statement of reality.

Such a recognition of what "we" see as objective reality, from someone who "we" also believe to be deliberately avoiding other objective realities about software, seems incongruous. Even hypocritical.

I'm moving into an apartment, I've already been checking with the apartment manager to see if they have a bulletin board in order to put something like:

"You don't need a new computer, take back control of the one you already have!"

and

"Before you spend more money, make sure you're not wasting it."

Anyway, I'm working on exactly what to say, to get them to listen while I pitch OpenOffice, FireFox, and the like.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 16, 2010
10:00 PM EDT
It's funny. Linux can win. On my current, newish laptop, suspend/resume in both Windows 7 and Linux worked but resumed with a dimmed display, after which I had to manually crank up the backlighting. Now that bug has been fixed in Linux (I've tested in Fedora 13 and Ubuntu 10.10). I guess I should boot into Win 7 to see if the bug's been fixed over there. I never boot into Windows, but I probably should to check this.

What we need are a whole bunch of preloads.
cybergal

Nov 16, 2010
11:04 PM EDT
@Bob Robertson, this article might help: http://tuxradar.com/newtolinux
Bob_Robertson

Nov 17, 2010
12:04 AM EDT
Steven,

I've been playing with suspend/resume on a laptop, and while I guess it would be useful if I were in the middle of something big that I couldn't save, and it was worth the risk of a failed resume no matter how small that chance.

However, with Debian's re-ordering of the boot sequence to allow for concurrent execution, booting up is faster than resuming!

Cybergal, thank you. Maybe I'll put that URL on my business card.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 17, 2010
1:34 AM EDT
You make me want to run Debian on more machines. Your point on suspend/resume vs. cold boot is very well-taken.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 17, 2010
9:07 AM EDT
If you're not especially worried about security, KDM has an automatic login option, so that it boots directly into a user's account, and the "desktops" I've used enough to know, KDE and xfce, have a "save" option when shutting down so that the same applications automatically startup.

So a cold boot can have pretty much the same effect as a suspend/resume.
bigg

Nov 17, 2010
9:45 AM EDT
On the topic of suspend/resume, something's really happened the last few kernel releases. One of my old Dell boxes has never suspended with any Linux. Now it works perfectly. I have another Compaq that I bought in 2005, even the XP that came installed on it wouldn't properly suspend or come out of suspend all the time, and on Linux suspend just didn't work. Now I'm running Fedora 14 and suspend works perfectly.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 17, 2010
2:00 PM EDT
I have encrypted LVM, so I have to enter a passphrase even before I get to the login screen.
gus3

Nov 17, 2010
3:19 PM EDT
Don't forget to do the same for your backup partition(s).
hkwint

Nov 17, 2010
8:25 PM EDT
Quoting:booting up is faster than resuming!

"Suffering" from the same issue here. I think the trick is to use 'parallelize' loading of the suspend-image between multiple disks. I configured three different 'physical' HD's as part of my suspend-image, though I'm pretty sure most of the time only one is used.

Same issue as Bigg: something happened the last few years, it used to 'not work at all', and now it just worked. Maybe I made config-errors in the past, not sure. Maybe some issue as Steven: I had encrypted partitions back then as well I think, which makes suspending / resuming harder.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 18, 2010
1:33 AM EDT
Suspend even (sorta) works on my iBook G4. The only issue I have is that, when I suspend it by closing the lid, It doesn't resume when I open the lid again. I have to press the power button to resume.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!