WTF does this have to do with Android?!? Childish partisanship!

Story: Reducing Power Consumption on Almost Any Android with CPUfreq Governor TweaksTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
tqk

Nov 25, 2010
2:48 PM EDT
This is the sort of article that really pees me off. This time, it's Android partisanship. More often, it's $SOME_SPECIFIC_DISTRO partisanship. The article is about how to control cpufreqd, which is information applicable to any box on which cpufreqd is being used. Why bring up Android specifically, when at the bottom of the article $AUTHOR even says it's applicable to any box on which cpufreqd is being used.

In Hollywood, this is called product placement. Android is irrelevant to this article, except as an example of cpufreqd mgmt.

Frankly, I liken this to Google Astroturfing in this case.

Explain your ideas/tech, then perhaps mention example implementations, WITHOUT astroturfing your employer/distro/yada yada first.
azerthoth

Nov 25, 2010
5:11 PM EDT
You know, I agree with you on this one.

This is applicable to just about any distro you care to name. Targetting it at android seems a tad ... pedantic I think is the word I'm looking for.
tqk

Nov 25, 2010
10:52 PM EDT
For me, this sort of thing just plays up all the, "Why so many distros?!?" shiat. The tech is what's important. Learn the underlying tech, and you'll have little trouble applying it anywhere it's applicable.

We don't need partisanship. It's divisive.
DrDubious

Nov 27, 2010
9:52 PM EDT
Well, on the other hand, I already knew you could do this in "proper" Linux distributions, but it hadn't occurred to me that it was also accessible in Android, which tends to lack a lot of "standard" Linux capabilities (X11, real root shell access without having to fight against the installed OS, etc).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!