Not even close

Story: The best open source netbook distro of 2010 revealed!Total Replies: 5
Author Content
tracyanne

Nov 26, 2010
12:32 AM EDT
The Unity Desktop on the Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook edition is terrible.
cabreh

Nov 26, 2010
3:50 AM EDT
I agree. The UNR desktop from 10.04 is far superior. I only loose one thin top bar of desk space in an application.
hkwint

Nov 26, 2010
11:32 AM EDT
TA: Be our guest, please share with us what's so terrible about it!
tracyanne

Nov 26, 2010
5:34 PM EDT
In no particular order.

I find it restrictive, it takes up too much of the 1024 by 600 desktop, It looks ugly. It has the feel of a mobile Phone desktop. It's actually a backward step from the original Desktop remix that was on 10.04.

You can't make the side panel or the top panel hide, and thus give you more working desktop. The previews of running applications aren't. I got a much better effect by using a standard GNOME desktop with a DockX Applet replacing the GNOME window list applet.
azerthoth

Nov 26, 2010
5:42 PM EDT
And to think, soon you can add in a compositing display manager that has no driver top end driver support. To share the pain though, it will be everywhere rather than just netbooks.
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 26, 2010
6:02 PM EDT
Tracy,

Do up a quick review/rant if you want. It would make for a great Feature. I have been hearing many of the same issues from others I know who have tried it out.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!