"Windows proof?!?!" More like choice proof

Story: Chrome OS Notebooks Will Be Windows-proofTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
JaseP

Dec 10, 2010
10:37 AM EDT
"Windows proof?!?!" More like choice proof.

I suppose they intend to use secure flash tech to prevent user installs of anything other than Chrome updates... Read "signed firmware only" into that. I think I'll be steering clear of Chrome pre-installed devices. It's like TiVo or Archos all over again.

jimbauwens

Dec 10, 2010
10:55 AM EDT
I don't think this is correct, I think that google means that the content of the drive is encrypted, the user data, and not the whole drive to stop user installing other systems. And probably the reason that you wont be able to boot windows is because the chrome laptops probably will not use mbr, but something faster.
bigg

Dec 10, 2010
11:00 AM EDT
Back ten years ago or so, you could get a free computer, all you had to do was promise to use the internet for a certain number of hours and let them monitor all your activities. Today we proudly pay for the opportunity.
herzeleid

Dec 10, 2010
4:00 PM EDT
Quoting:"Windows proof?!?!" More like choice proof.
My heart bleeds for you - but hey, if you don't like linux, you can always choose not to buy a linux machine, so choice is alive and well!

Personally I find this a refreshing change, and I will buy one.

Steven_Rosenber

Dec 10, 2010
4:22 PM EDT
I'm hoping they'll send me a free one. I've already made my pact with the devil vis a vis Google Docs and Mail, so I might as well get a free notebook for my trouble.
JaseP

Dec 10, 2010
7:35 PM EDT
@herzeleid:

Maybe you missed my point. The way the article was talking, it won't be possible to install anything BUT Chrome on one of these machines... I wasn't calling Windoze open (far from it). I was pointing out that if you couldn't install M$, you likely won't be able to install Meego, or Ubuntu for ARM or UNR for the Atom based processors either.

They were talking about lockng the hardare in the same way Archos locked down their 4th + generation multimedia players or TiVo locks down their DVRs. For instance Archos only permits digitally signed firmware. You cannot install your own unless you can generate a signing key (only a few outside of Archos CAN, & they're not sharing). It's Linux, but not open. A counter example is the Neuros OSD, which IS a completely open & hackable implementation of imbeded Linux.
herzeleid

Dec 11, 2010
3:27 AM EDT
@jaseP -

Thanks for the clarification - I thought your position was that if you couldn't install microsoft windows on a system, then it's not open enough for you. But yeah, I get what you mean.

OTOH if you just want a black box appliance, and know going into it that you won't have much success customizing it, the chrome netbook might not be a bad thing. I agree that for the hands on hacker, it would be frustrating. I get my fill of hacking at work, so I don't so much mind having a hermetically sealed black box, and the fact that it's linux is nice, even though I can't really muck about with the internals as I would on a normal system.

gus3

Dec 11, 2010
7:37 AM EDT
Quoting:[I]f you just want a black box appliance, and know going into it that you won't have much success customizing it
Do us all a favor, get a MacBook and admit you're one of the sheeple.
herzeleid

Dec 11, 2010
2:15 PM EDT
Quoting:Do us all a favor, get a MacBook and admit you're one of the sheeple.
LOL, what are you, the comic relief?

As it turns out, I did buy a macbook pro right after I got my bachelor's in computer science. After 18 months or so I ended up dumping it in favor of an HP laptop running ubuntu 8.04, which was a lot more fun to use IHMO.

JaseP

Dec 13, 2010
9:56 AM EDT
Quoting: OTOH if you just want a black box appliance, and know going into it that you won't have much success customizing it, the chrome netbook might not be a bad thing

That is why I mentioned the Neuros OSD. Many of these new set-top boxes, like the Roku, for example, have the OSD to thank for being the perfect Proof-of-concept device. But the OSD was COMPLETELY open. Hardware specs were available & mods encouraged. AND the source code was available, with a small, but encouraged developer base producing for it. Unfortunately, it never took off as a device, despite near-perfect adaptability.
jboyd

Dec 14, 2010
7:08 AM EDT
Hello all,

According to the following link, there is a way to install other OSs on the Chrome OS Netbook :

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374193,00.asp

Regards,

John.
tracyanne

Dec 14, 2010
9:38 AM EDT
What I can't imagine is replacing ChromeOS with Windows, it seems rather pointless. But it's nice to know one can replace ChromeOS with something better.
jimbauwens

Dec 14, 2010
9:48 AM EDT
I think ChromeOS is based on ubuntu, and I think that it uses the X11 stack (although I'm not sure). This means that I would be possible to install gnome (or whatever you want) within ChromeOS.
JaseP

Dec 15, 2010
10:02 AM EDT
@jimbauwens:

I would think it better just to replace ChromeOS with the open community version of it (once a community forms). I would suspect the community version would be more customizable & have removed the nasty bits (spyware, etc.).

Good to know that they haven't eliminated the ability of users to take control of their machines though. Let's see if manufacturers leave in that capacity.
jimbauwens

Dec 15, 2010
10:14 AM EDT
How to boot ubuntu on the cr-48: https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/deve...
hkwint

Dec 15, 2010
12:52 PM EDT
Am I the only one thinking cr-48 is a radio-active isotope?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!