Agreed with small caveat...

Story: Pinguy OS - Probably the Best Ubuntu Derivative I have Ever Used!Total Replies: 4
Author Content
helios

Dec 22, 2010
12:41 AM EDT
I have a little Thinkpad X60S that I am quite fond of. It resides comfortably between a small laptop like the Dell D610 and a netbook. It has a core duo processor at 1.66 and 2 gigs of ram. It's been a workhorse for me and I've abused it to the point of a broken PCMCIA hinged door and a healthy cracked body above said broken slot. See specs here:

http://www.premiumgeeks.com/laptop/ibm-laptop/thinkpad-x60s-...

In that it has a smaller screen than a normal laptop I wanted to put more of a netbook distro on it. I only use it for internet research while in the field and the occasional VirtualBox visit into Windows when I am faced with an AT&T DSL install. Don't get me started...

At any rate, none of the netbook spins did much for me. Meego reminded me of a Spongebob episode, UNE and UNR were surprisingly unstable (10.04 and 10.10) and others just didn't seem to do what I needed them to do.

Where I find Pinguy extremely useful is the (Mostly) well thought out UI and desktop. Docky adds some simple yet effective features and what I like most is the home user folders that blend in to the left side of the screen environment. It also comes with an attractive Conky, which I can take or leave, but the repositories are huge and the choice of software is almost three times what is found in other Ubuntu default offerings. It had utility and productivity apps I'd never heard of and I thought I was pretty well up on the apps available in any Linux install.

It's fast, it's stable and it shows some real thought in what a user...even a new user, wants and needs in a Linux distro.

A "freedom" distro it is not so those who follow that philosophical path would probably be on the verge of being offended. It not only comes with REAL java and flash, it has the Badboy of all codebytes, libdvdcss included.

My only gripe is the Mint menu that replaces my Applications - Places - System menu. I find the Mint menu a bit convoluted and clumsy to navigate.

You can see screenshots on the parent article. The wallpaper app is another that I am impressed with.

This distro found a home on my personal computer and we are looking at maybe redoing our custom HeliOS respin as Pinguy as the base.

It's obvious I am impressed with it.

h

r_a_trip

Dec 22, 2010
7:35 AM EDT
My only gripe is the Mint menu that replaces my Applications - Places - System menu. I find the Mint menu a bit convoluted and clumsy to navigate.

Helios, you can restore the menu to the "Applications - Places - System" setup by right clicking on the panel, choosing the "widget" option and drag the appropriate menu option to the panel. (Don't ask me the exact name of the Widget option. I'm at work and stuck with Windows XP SP2 at the moment).
jimbauwens

Dec 22, 2010
7:47 AM EDT
Its "Menu Bar" "A custom menu bar". I too dislike the mint menu, it just makes it slower to open certain apps. I have my favorites in the gnome panel, no need to put that in a menu.
helios

Dec 22, 2010
11:03 AM EDT
Hey Trip,

Yeah, I know that...I was just bemoaning the fact that I had to. It's listed as "Menu Bar" in the Ubuntu list of panel addons.

Menu bar is much easier it seems to me but others seem to like it fine. the one good thing about it is that it has a search bar at the bottom so you can type in "gimp" or "nexuiz" and initiate the app. Not so good if you are a new user and not conditioned to the Linux application "naming scheme".

gibber or UCK anyone?
tracyanne

Dec 23, 2010
1:58 AM EDT
It looks really nice. It has most of the additional PPAs that I add. There's a few changes I'd make on the desktop, a few applications I'd replace, but There's also a few things I think I might leave and try using. I would remove global menu, not all applications, precious few actually, integrate with it, at the moment, so I think it's a bit of a waste of time.

A very nice effort.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!