Slackware is always welcome in my house

Story: Get Slack!Total Replies: 5
Author Content
Koriel

Jan 02, 2011
7:20 PM EDT
It taught me about linux and has been in use in my household for nearly 15 years.
bigg

Jan 02, 2011
10:46 PM EDT
To be honest I haven't learned much while using Slackware. Maybe it was different 15 years ago, but these days it's easy to install, doesn't require much configuration, and there are few bugs. In contrast, I ran Arch for a while, and learned a ton.
jdixon

Jan 03, 2011
1:10 AM EDT
> ...but these days it's easy to install, doesn't require much configuration, and there are few bugs.

Well, there have never been very many bugs. But yeah, the configuration requirements are way down from what they were 15 years ago. Video usually just works, and I installed 13.1 on a new machine here, and sound worked out of the box, without running alsamixer. I don't think that's ever happened before.
gus3

Jan 03, 2011
1:44 PM EDT
"Video usually just works," and that's all that can be said for using VESA as the default. Then again, if the video rendering requirements aren't high, it'll suffice.
Koriel

Jan 04, 2011
8:18 PM EDT
It certainly was different 15 yrs ago but yes even Slackware has succumbed to progress and is a lot easier to setup although this is a good thing it does lower the learning curve significantly making it less useful as a linux learning experience. Im not sure how you would go about getting a similar experience nowadays.
jdixon

Jan 05, 2011
8:59 AM EDT
> Im not sure how you would go about getting a similar experience nowadays.

Linux from Scratch: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!