grub2 does not recognize USB keyboard

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
tuxchick

Jan 05, 2011
6:53 PM EDT
Tell me again why we use Linux?

Users report this as back as far as 2006 and still no fix that I have found.

Growl.
azerthoth

Jan 05, 2011
6:55 PM EDT
Odd I had that problem for all of 30 seconds, then I turned on USB keyboard support in BIOS.

jimbauwens

Jan 05, 2011
6:58 PM EDT
That is weird, I have no such issues. Usb keyboard must be enabled in the BIOS though. I know that the windows bootloader has issues with Usb keyboards, but with grub I never experienced it.
tuxchick

Jan 05, 2011
7:00 PM EDT
Thanks az, like I never check the obvious. On one system there is an 'enable legacy USB' option, and that fixed it. On a second system this does not. Of course I wish to blame Grub2 because it is a terrible abomination. Perhaps I should be cussing mobo manufacturers instead. Nah, I'll cuss both.
tuxchick

Jan 05, 2011
7:08 PM EDT
For the sake of completeness, on both systems there are two pertinent BIOS configs: enable USB keyboard, and enable legacy USB. These options vary on different boards. On both systems USB keyboards worked fine for getting into the BIOS, but not Grub. 'enable legacy USB' made Grub see the USB keyboard on one PC but not the other.

Maybe the right subject line is "Tell me again why we use computers". I love the smell of innovation in the morning.
gus3

Jan 05, 2011
7:10 PM EDT
Grub2 exemplifies perfectly the "second system effect" that Dr. Brooks warned us about all those years ago.
bigg

Jan 05, 2011
7:14 PM EDT
> Of course I wish to blame Grub2 because it is a terrible abomination

I think most distros have not 'upgraded' to Grub 2 yet.
bigg

Jan 05, 2011
7:20 PM EDT
Thanks to tuxchick's whining, I got my USB keyboard to work as well. I just didn't think to check the BIOS.
jimbauwens

Jan 05, 2011
7:23 PM EDT
>Maybe the right subject line is "Tell me again why we use computers". I love the smell of innovation in the morning. To find software bugs! (And that sentence reminds me to a phrase of gladiators) (And its evening here)
tuxchick

Jan 05, 2011
8:03 PM EDT
Progress through whining! This is my two Debian Sid boxes. I still heart Debian, even with Grub2.

Heh gus3, I did a quick web search and found this on Wikipedia:

"The second-system effect refers to the tendency of small, elegant, and successful systems to have elephantine, feature-laden monstrosities as their successors." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second-system_effect

I hadn't heard of that before. Very wise is Dr. Brooks.
tuxchick

Jan 05, 2011
8:11 PM EDT
Oh, and I owe Herzeleid a big apology. After much faffing around and getting nowhere with Nouveau (no it is not as good as Nvidia drivers) for my old GeForce FX 5200 video card, and bigtime nowhere with installing nvidia-legacy on Sid because it has a version conflict with xorg, I installed the 71.86.14 binary from nvidia.com. Works perfectly and I have good hardware acceleration and an actual useful configuration panel. Herzeleid has always been a champion of Nvidia, and I was unkind to him about it. After all these years they're still the best-supported Linux video cards. I am sorry Herzeleid, you were right.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 05, 2011
8:45 PM EDT
As far as I know, since I have been keeping a PS2 keyboard around for this same reason, whether or not GRUB/GRUB2 can "see" the USB keyboard is purely a matter of the BIOS knowing what a USB keyboard is.

> exemplifies perfectly the "second system effect" that Dr. Brooks warned us about all those years ago.

and

> I hadn't heard of that before. Very wise is Dr. Brooks.

TC, "Second System Syndrome" is a term I was first told about when someone was reading my objections to IPv6, lo these many years ago.

Seems that to me, IPv6 is a perfect example of Second System Syndrome. In my professional opinion as a network engineer, they took a few good ideas and LOADED THEM DOWN WITH CR@P.

Glad things are working for you. I, too, have had good results from the Nvidia binaries, and nothing but headaches with Nouveau.
tuxchick

Jan 05, 2011
8:55 PM EDT
I usually buy PS/2 keyboards. I went with USB this time because that was my only choice for cheap and beige :). Don't like black keyboards. Maybe I have some USB to PS/2 adapters floating around somewhere...
gus3

Jan 05, 2011
9:01 PM EDT
I highly recommend The Mythical Man-month for everyone to read, not just project managers and their ilk. It contains real lessons from a real project that used far more development resources than it should have.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 05, 2011
9:53 PM EDT
They still make PS/2 keyboards? I've got one in my junk heap, of course.

Do those little USB-to-PS/2 adapters work in this case? I've got a few of those floating around, too.
nikkels

Jan 06, 2011
5:30 AM EDT
do those little USB-to-PS/2 adapters work in this case? I've got a few of those floating around, too.

Yes, they do work well on my old laptop.
cr

Jan 06, 2011
3:32 PM EDT
Quoting: do those little USB-to-PS/2 adapters work in this case? I've got a few of those floating around, too.

Yeah, but for how long? Those are two very different protocols, and both the sense-and-switch routines and the PS/2 protocol support take up space in the ROM in the keyboard's MCU. Don't count on it being in new keyboards forever, in other words; hold onto the oldies that work.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 06, 2011
3:35 PM EDT
My last little 1GHz Athalon that required a PS2 keyboard for BIOS work (and LILO/GRUB) was retired two months ago. That's the last of them, everything else uses USB.

But I'm still using the PS2 keyboard, because I like it.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 06, 2011
5:16 PM EDT
Quoting:do those little USB-to-PS/2 adapters work in this case? I've got a few of those floating around, too.

Good luck with that. Most new machines I've seen so far don't even have PS/2 slots anymore.

Anyway, I have had no problems with USB keyboards and grub2. And I love grub2 (booting from LVM volumes on mdadm RAID. Yay!)

You cannot post until you login.